Chapter 19 (My Hope)

Nagito/3rd person POV

Rolling over onto his side, Nagito slowly opened his eyes to the echo of his alarm. He slowly sat up, letting his vision adjust to the light before pushing himself up out of his bed. Wobbling slightly Nagito swayed over to his door, making a b-line for the coffee machine, eyes half closed. Nagito fumbled with getting a cup from the cupboard, nearly dropping it, he set it down under the nozzle and pressed start. The rich aroma of the coffee filled up the kitchen. As if awakened by the scent, Kazuichi materialized into the kitchen and lazily gestured at the cupboard. Once again Nagito fumbled fetching the cup from its shelf, luckily the cup made it to the counter safely. After the two boys got their fill of caffeine they chatted amongst themselves while getting ready for school. Once they finished packing their bags Nagito stepped back into his room and pulled open his closet. He had to look his best today, after all, his date with Hajime was today. Rustling through his clothes, Nagito finally decided on a pair of black jeans, a loose red and green striped sweater all topped off with a black coat. Doing a 360 spin in his mirror Nagito looked over his choice of clothes once more and smiled before returning to the main room. He crouched down to pick up his bag and heard a whistle from behind him followed by a giggle. 

“Lookin’ good Nagito.” Kazuichi said, chuckling.

Shifting his gaze to his roommate he smiled awkwardly and ruffled his snow toned hair. “Yeah? I kinda have a date today so I wanted to look good.” Nagito said in response, feeling flustered with his words. 

Kazuichi smiled and patted his roommate on the back. “It will go great! Try no to stress out much.”  

Nagito nodded, thankful for his friend's reassuring words. The white haired boy double checked he had everything he needed for later that day before leaving with Kazuichi. The bus ride seemed to stretch on for hours, Nagito was too impatient. He wanted this day to be over so he could finally go on his date. Nagito sighed in frustration, biting the inside of his cheek. “Uh..you alright man...you are kinda radiating this weird energy..” Kazuichi half whispered. 

“Oh- I am? Just a little impatient, that's all.” Nagito replied a little embarrassed of how much his emotions were showing. 

“You must be crazy excited for this date if I can literally feel how restless you are.” 

The white haired boy nodded enthusiastically, a wide smile covering his face. “It’s gonna be something to remember, I can feel it.” 

{Time skip}

Somehow Nagito managed to get through the first half of the school day. It was truly a miracle. The boy thought his brain might explode if he had to sit another minute in that stuffy classroom. Nagito grabbed his things and practically dragged Chiaki out of the room. She yelped and stumbled, nearly losing her balance as Nagito whisked her away to meet up with Hajime. As the pair met up with Hajime they were greeted with a warm smile. Nagito wanted to think that smile was for him and him alone so he smiled back and waved. The trio started to unpack their lunches when Nagito noticed Hajime was empty handed. Immediately the white haired boy held out half of his sandwich to Hajime. The brunette looked at the food before him then back up at Nagito. “Are you sure I should…? You should keep your food..”

“I insist! I wouldn’t want you going hungry now.” 

Hajime hesitated before taking the sandwich from Nagito and nodding in thanks. As they ate they chatted about various topics, how their classes were going, hobbies y’know all those sorts of things. Nagito couldn’t help himself from stealing glances at the brunette boy. Their eyes had connected a few times, meaning Hajime was also stealing glances at Nagito. Wow...I can’t believe someone like him is stealing glances at someone as worthless as me...