Chapter 7 (Games vs Reality)

TWs: panic attack, self degradation

Hajime/3rd person POV

Exhausted, Hajime flopped down onto Chiaki’s bed, closing his eyes. “Haha are you tired already Hajime?? It’s barely 12 am!” Chiaki smiled, poking him with her controller playfully. Hajime scrunched up his face and moved away from the controller in his side holding in a giggle. 
“Yeah, my fingers are starting to go numb haha. How can you do this all day?” Hajime said looking over at Chiaki. She just smiled and shook her head.

“Well it is my ultimate talent, soooo-” She said, dragging out the last word. “But if you are tired we can stop playing!” Hajime thought it over briefly, then responded. 

“Well I am sleeping over so playing a few more rounds wouldn’t hurt.” Chiaki beamed at her friend and went to put a new game into her console. Hajime leaned over and picked up his controller from the floor, after flexing his fingers to give them a stretch. As music came from the tv, the brunette looked up to see what his friend had chosen. It looked like a dungeon crawler game, fortunately Hajime wasn’t too bad at those. 

As they played into the night Hajime could feel his eyes start to droop and try to close. He shook his head, trying to keep himself from falling asleep. Despite his best efforts the brunette drifted to sleep, the controller resting on his stomach as it slipped from his hands. Chiaki noticed that Hajime’s avatar had stopped moving on the screen and looked over to see the boy sound asleep. She smiled then got up to cover him with a blanket so he wouldn’t wake up cold. 

Chiaki looked at the time, the clock showing 2:47 a.m. and figured she should probably get some rest too. Humming softly she turned off her console and slipped into her pyjamas. Then she hopped into her bed and snuggled under the covers, but not before checking to make sure Hajime had enough blankets. Chiaki sighed peacefully as her head hit her cloud of a pillow. “Goodnight Hajime..” the gamer mumbled before sleep overtook her.

Hajime jolted awake breathing heavily and clutching his chest. Where am I... He looked around in a panic before realizing he was still in Chiaki’s room. The brunette let out a shaky breath, looking beside him to make sure he hadn’t woken his sleeping friend. Thankfully she was still fast asleep. Ugh my whole body feels hot..I need some water.. Hajime thought as he navigated his way to Chiaki’s bathroom. Once he was inside he shut the door and turned on the light. As his eyes adjusted to the sudden change he turned on the sink and lightly splashed water on his face before drinking some. The hot feeling didn’t go away, in fact it was getting more intense.

Before Hajime knew what was happening he was on the floor. Vision blurring in and out of black, a ringing sound reverberated in his head loudly, making him deaf to the world. No...no..you’re kidding...not now...Hajime thought frantically as he realized what was happening. He must have had a nightmare that triggered a panic attack. The shaking boy must have cried out or said something because he heard the bathroom door open and faint sounds of someone talking. Chiaki…? 

“Hajime! Are you okay?!” The distant voice of Chiaki said. I must have said her name out loud..ahh my head..everything hurts...The shaking boy felt something cold on his forehead and saw the blurry outline of his friend overtop of him. Hajime closed his eyes and tried to regulate his breathing. After about 20 minutes of Hajime laying on the floor with a cold cloth on his head his vision finally started to come back, as well as his hearing. The brunette slowly blinked his eyes and sat up, looking around the bathroom. He looked over beside him and saw Chiaki with a worried expression. “Are you alright Hajime?” 

“Yeah.. I think so..” Hajime said, rubbing his head.  “I had a panic attack again didn’t I..?” 

Chiaki nodded and rubbed the olders back soothingly. Hajime looked away ashamed that he was always putting so much responsibility on his friend. She must hate always putting me back together again..I must be such a nuisance...god..

As if Chiaki could hear his thoughts she gently patted his head "Hajime stuff happens, you can't control panic attacks." She said, trying to reassure her friend. The boy opened his mouth to say something but decided against it and just nodded. 

"We should get back to sleep, we have to get up in a few hours." Hajime said finally, standing up and trudging back to Chiaki's bed. The light haired girl followed, shutting off the bathroom light on her way out. Chiaki was still worried but didn't say anything, she didn't want to push Hajime. 

The two of them wrapped themselves in blankets and said their goodnights.
Hajime lied awake, tossing and turning; still feeling guilty about waking Chiaki and making a scene. "Man..thinking sure is exhausting.." Hajime whispered to himself before closing his eyes.
Praying that he would fall into a dreamless sleep, free from reality and the burden of his thoughts.
_____________________________________________

879 words

first of all i would like to say thank you so much for 100 reads! i know it seems like such a small number, but im sooo happy that people actually like my book and are reading it!

sorry for this chapter being a little late again i kept getting distracted while writing and editing :P

n e ways i hope you all have a good rest of your day and thank you again for 100 reads :*

-ash