Chapter 6 (Panic)

TWs: slight self degradation

Hajime/3rd person POV

Hajime covered his face and practically ran away from the other, his heart hammering out of his chest.
HOLY SHIT WHAT WAS THAT AND WHY AM I BLUSHING!? Hajime screamed in his head. I need to find Chiaki and get out of here- now! Scanning the aisles in a hurry he finally found his friend. “Uh, hey Chiaki...I don’t really need that tea- I can just have water or something else….let's just go!” 

Chiaki stared at Hajime with a puzzled look. “Why? Did something happen? I was just about to pick out candy..” 

“I’ll buy you candy tomorrow, let's just go home now!” Hajime pushed his confused friend from the aisle and towards the door. Just before the brunette pushed Chiaki completely out the door, she raised her hand to wave at someone. Hajime didn't think anything of it. His priority was to get out.
Once they were far enough away from the convenience store Chiaki turned around to face Hajime. "What was all that about??" She asked with her arms crossed. 

The brunette desperately tried to think of a believable lie. "Uhm...I...felt sick..and it was too crowded..?"

Chiaki raised an eyebrow, suspicious of her friend's statement. "Hmm- whatever you say." She said, obviously unconvinced. Hajime slumped a little knowing she was just pretending to believe him. Wanting to change the subject, the brunette remembered Chiaki had waved to someone on their way out. Curious Hajime decided to ask her about it. "Hey Chiaki who did you wave to as we left the store?"

"You mean before you practically threw me out the door? It was a classmate, Nagito." She responded. 

"Ah, I see." Hajime nodded, putting his hands in his pockets. 

"Soooo you gonna tell me the real reason we had to leave the store in such a hurry?" Chiaki asked curiously. Hajime sighed. Not exactly sure what to tell her. This guy I saw on the bus- and now at this store, just made my heart fucking explode- but yknow no biggie... No, I can't say that… Hajime thought. "Uh I- you see- so I saw this guy on the bus and then I saw him again at the store and my heart sped up and my face was hot and don't know why sooo I just needed to get out of there!" The brunette blurted out.

Chiaki raised her eyebrows in surprise and looked at Hajime. “You mean to tell me you saw a hot guy, and you didn’t think to ask for his name or number or anything like that??” 

Hajime’s eyes widened in a panic. “W-what!? Why would I ask out a guy!? I’m not g-gay! And the guy wasn’t hot! He just gives me a weird feeling…” The boy could feel his heart rate speed up as silence overtook the pair. God...what did I just say!? Why did I tell her all that?? She probably thinks I’m some weird loser… Hajime kept his eyes on the ground, regretting every word he let escape his mouth. 

“Y’know, It doesn’t matter if you like boys Hajime, you are still you and I’ll always be by your side. No matter what!” The gamer finally replied in a reassuring manner. The brunette nodded but didn’t say anything back. Fearing he would just make this situation worse for himself. 

{Time skip}

When they got back to Chiaki’s house she went to set up her gaming systems, because Hajime had promised he would play games with her when they got back. Sighing the older of the pair made his way to Chiaki’s bedroom where her set up was. Inside she was loading up some kind of racing game. “Hey Chiaki..I’m sorry for pushing you out of the store and then lying about the reason why..” Hajime apologized while rubbing the back of his neck nervously. 

Chaiki stopped and looked up at her friend. “It’s okay! I get it Hajime, but don’t force yourself to be someone you’re not okay?” Hajime nodded, smiling slightly and sat down beside the girl, picking up a controller.

“Be prepared to lose Chiaki!” Hajime laughed. Trying to push his worries to the back of his mind as she started up the game. 

“Haha! How dare you challenge the ultimate gamer! You will feel the despair of losing!" She snickered, smashing the controller buttons. 

The pair gamed for hours, completely losing track of time. Their minds only filled with the goal of winning the games they played. Well- almost. There was one thing that kept itching in the back of Hajime's mind. 

I'm not gay right...no...I was just caught off guard by him...that has to be it...I can't like boys...right..? Right...
_____________________________________________

788 words

sorry that this chapter was a little late, i fell asleep when i was editing it lol

this chapter feels kinda incomplete but i think i still like it, we stan a supportive Chiaki (>•○•<)

also Hajime is the prettiest protagonist change my mind i dare you-

have a good rest of your day or night
bye bye~

-ash