75- The Hunt(ed)

Caspian led Charon and Hades out of the stable and into the open air. He saw Rosalind standing a few feet away, her back turned to him, her eyes focused on the horizon. "Have you ever shot a bow?" he asked as he walked up to her and handed Hades' reigns over.

Rosalind watched as the horizon created waves like the rippling tide of an ocean. The white snow looked obsidian for a moment before it returned to a crystal hue. "I have but it was a lifetime ago. My brothers showed me how to shoot targets they had painted on the side of the stables. My father was livid." Holding the reins, Rosalind paused to regard them – how vine-like they looked. Soon little eyes appeared, black as ink, and looked up at her. She rubbed her thumb against the reins and the eyes vanished. "I am not certain if he was angry because his children were shooting arrows into the building or because my brothers were showing me how to use a bow and arrow." Rosalind looked over at her lover. Momentary flashes of a man and a beast confused her and for a second she felt as she had while taking Caspian's drugs. "I was thirteen years old, I recall being quite good but I have not used one since."

"I will help you if it is still what you want to do."

Rosalind nodded. "People hunt all the time for food."

As Caspian waited for her to mount the horse, he chuckled. "But you, my beloved, are not interested in hunting for food. You are keen on killing." Hooking his foot into the stirrup, Caspian lifted himself up on Charon's saddle.

The horse's skin quivered as the lord's knees touched its sides. Tiny flakes of white fell upon the animal's muzzle. Patches of black skin lay across the bones like ripped ribbons and showed off flickers of ivory teeth underneath.

"I want to know what it is like," Rosalind said sharply as she looked at Caspian. "I want to understand you. I cannot crawl into your mind nor under your skin so this is second best."

Bringing Charon closer to Hades and Rosalind, Caspian replied. "Trying to understand a monster is like wanting to leap off a high cliff with no wings."

"I am not afraid," Rosalind replied. "If I fall you will catch me, will you not?"

Reaching out to gently touch her arm, Caspian nodded. "I will always be there for you, till Kingdom Come and beyond that."

The forest spread before them in pure white. Everything had been touched by the snow and lay before the pair like a silent bride. They rode until Caspian spotted a large buck in the distance. Extending his hand, he bid Rosalind to stop. Touching his finger to his lips, the lord slid off his steed and helped Rosalind off hers. With the quiver on his back and the large bow in his arms, the lord took a few steps forward -- his eyes never leaving the large animal which was poking his nose in the snow in search of some sprouts.

Caspian handed Rosalind the bow and an arrow. As she hoisted it up, he walked around her and reached for both of her hands to help her. He touched his cheek to hers. His eyes focusing ahead on where hers should be. "Find his heart," he said under his breath, "and dig deep. He will not even feel it happening until the last beat where everything fades to black. Death awaits him with a bow in her grasp and desire in her emerald gaze."

Giving Caspian a small nod, Rosalind pulled back the string.

"Shoot him between your own heartbeats, it will make you more steady."When he saw the arrow's tip was aimed at the deer's heart, Caspian slid his hand away from hers. He breathed slowly, matching his heartbeat with hers.

The stag raised its head. Its muzzle was covered in snow. Twitching its ears, it turned to face the pair of hunters.

Without a second thought, Rosalind inhaled and let go of the taunt string. She watched the arrow hurl towards the unsuspecting creature and ram deep into his chest as she exhaled a stream of misty air.

The stag let out a guttural sound as it fell to its knees. Blood oozed from the wound. The deer's heavy breathing created patterns in the air. In an instant, it fell to its side and died before Rosalind could lower the bow.

"A perfect shot," said Caspian proudly in her ear before detaching himself from her and walking towards the bloody stag.

Setting Caspian's bow against a tree, Rosalind felt the muscles in her face curve upwards into a painful grin. Before her, the snow drifted upwards and ascend back into the sky. Rosalind opened her mouth and began to laugh.