1: The Chase of Death in the Woods

The Chase of Death in the Woods

"Who am I?"

That was the question a young man named Arthur long pondered. He-who forgot all of his memories because of a tragedy in his younger days. Abrupted in the wilderness became his fresh memory until he crossed paths with a young wizard named Merlin. In the meantime, they settle together in a cabin found in the woods of Eithaf. Under the guidance of Henddyn, an old wizard and the foster parent of Merlin, Arthur survived. Living in the woods wasn't great, but the people thrived on existing.

It was early in the morning. Arthur and Merlin admire another day of their existence as they dished up for breakfast, with fresh foods concocted by the sufficient yield from the landscape surrounding them. Everything was verdant and clean. Birds singing the songs of paradise, accompanied by the wind's gentle breath, were undoubtedly alluring to tune in. The scent leak from the brushing leaves of trees and lawns was oddly aromatic. They expect it to be another peaceful morning for them. Little did they know — guests were coming uninvited.

"Hey Arthur, have you noticed my staff?" Merlin asked, scratching his head, even without an itch.

Arthur shook his head and said, "No."

Merlin sulked into a chair with a palm on his head. "I lost it again," he said, sighing.

Arthur's face brightened when he sighted Merlin's face. "The breakfast is ready. I'll look for Henddyn now," he said with deep resonance.

For a hundred times, Merlin lost his staff again. As ironic as it was because the cabin wasn't a vast place to lose things. As both growing teenagers, Arthur and Merlin developed different perspectives in life. Arthur had the urge to start another journey in a new world. It didn't bore him where he was, but his heart looked for something new to see and feel. Until now, he longed to know who he was. However, the sense of leaving someone for his deeds guilted Arthur. He doesn't want to create distance from his friend. It was useless to convince Merlin because, unlike him, Merlin preferred living the way they used to — never wishing to take the risk, perhaps afraid.

As Arthur approached the door, it unexpectedly opened at full tilt and forcefully slammed on the side. Arthur unconsciously stepped back. Merlin erected from sitting. At the doorway, blocking the light source, there revealed the old wizard Henddyn. With a complete dilation of his eyes while catching his breath. His hands quivered while gripping his wooden staff. Sweat dripped from his wrinkled forehead, both sides of his temple, down to his long white patriarchal beard. The bottom part of his old robe was visibly filthy. Something dreadful disrupted Henddyn's poise.

Arthur pulled himself up to gain the courage to break the sudden silence. "I was on my way to look for you, Henddyn," he said calmly.

The old wizard interrupted with his raspy voice as he approached Arthur. "We have to get out of here."

Out of confusion, Merlin stepped out from the back. "Why?" he asked.

Henddyn stared at Merlin for a second but quickly diverted and sighed deeply. He forcedly closes his eyes while slowly shaking his head — unable to utter even a single word. The sudden alteration of the situation negatively affected Merlin. Something terrible was vivid in Henddyn's eyes. Merlin never saw his foster father act as how he is now. He felt a premonition as he crossed his arms unto his body but could not explain. Arthur was confused and had the urge to ask who was coming? What was happening? But fear crippled his tongue.

Henddyn scurried, passing Merlin, and laid one's vision on the lath of the cabin's window. "I never thought this day would come. How foolish of me?" he said, sounding blue. His gaze shifted to Arthur and Merlin, "They are here. We have to go."