4. No Hope

Tessa

Life has no meaning. I'm worthless. Why even try.

It was those exact thoughts that had me leaving for school in sweatpants in 80 degree heat, pink flip flops and a pajama tank top that was see-through. I wore my sports bra so it wasn't too scandalous.

"Oh my god! Did somebody die?" Steph went to hug me and must have noticed I wasn't wearing deodorant. "Because if not, this whole tragic, smelly, thing in front of me is not my friend Tessa."

"Sorta. Part of me died." Lana has basically been gone since July. Her brief stint back yesterday gave me hope and then that hope died.

"Please tell me you aren't still heartbroken over Luke, are you?"

"Subtle, sensitive, and caring." Mark had lifted his head to say. "Woah, but Steph's got a point. Yesterday you looked hot and now you look...not."

"Fuck you both. It's not about Luke." But it kind of is. "Leave me alone alright. At least I didn't skip a day of school."

"Maybe you should have." They said almost in unison as the bus came to a halt and the doors opened.

Too late now.

The entire day was a wash. I tried to blend in but I was taller than the average girl and more built. My messy bun bobbled through the hallways and got me more notice, not less. Could this day get any worse?

Why yes it can. Ladies and gentlemen, my art teacher is looking at me like he's about to cry. He pities me.

I'm pitiful.

When the bell rings Mr. Knight asked me to speak with him and since he was a wolf and willing to write a note for my tardiness yesterday and today to math, I indulged him.

The closer I got to him the more I felt Lana coming forward. I wonder what would happen if I touched him. He made sure to stay behind his desk and asked me to sit across from him. When I slouched into the chair, I kicked out my foot hoping that my bare toe "accidently" touching his ankle would bring Lana back. I'm basically trying to molest a teacher to bring my wolf back. He was quick though and put space in between us. That was the appropriate response and should have made me feel safe but I didn't want space from him. The further he was from me the more anxious and depressed I felt.

After a minute or so of him creeping me out with his intense stare I coughed to break the tension.

"Yes, uhh, Tessa, correct?"

"Yep."

"Is everything alright?" He leaned forward on his desk and looked like he really cared but I didn't buy it.

"Sure, Mr. Knight." My sarcasm made his jaw tick.

"Lucian, actually. You can call me Lucian."

"Nope, I'm good. You're my teacher so that would be weird. Speaking of weird, can I go now?" I grabbed the extra textbook that didn't fit into my backpack and sat up.

"Wait! I mean, you still haven't told me what's bothering you. Or who? Maybe that Mark kid." He really didn't like Mark for some reason. "Did he hurt you? Say something mean to you? Are you in love with him?"

My jaw dropped. Mr. Knight was asking if I was in love with Mark. He blushed and looked away from me for once.

"One, it's none of your goddess damn business. Two, Mark is my friend and he would never intentionally hurt me or be mean to me. Three, you have to help him with his art portfolio for school so maybe he should be here right now and not me. Four... I don't really have a four, but you're my teacher so you shouldn't be asking me about my love life." I huffed and by the time I got to the door I heard him sigh.