Chapter 26 (b)

I TAKE A TURN ON TO THE LONG, and quiet, maple-lined road

I TAKE A TURN ON TO THE LONG, and quiet, maple-lined road. The art nouveau lamp posts are wrapped in evergreen garland with lights flickering on the trees along the way. As I drive further you can get the taste of old-ass money, moldy blue-blood money just by seeing the houses. Not a McMansion in sight, only actual estates. Tennis courts, pool houses, and miles of fencing. Still a neighborhood, though; the houses aren't so far apart that they are isolated.

One more turn, a speed hump and there the extravagantly ornate, brick-built, 19th century chateau-style gatehouse of the estate with massive iron grates comes into view. The Grayson coat of arms can be seen in the centre above the archway, while living quarters are on the right hand side, and over the gateway. It is flanked by high ashlar fence wall and large tree to obscure the view.

All my worries evaporate like magic and a sense of calming security encompasses me as I drive down the long tree lined, gravel driveway. Rounding the fountain I stop the car and the first person I see is an olive-skinned woman dressed in professional butler's attire.

I throw a disbelieving look at my husband as he reaches for the door handle. "One night I'm gone and you've sacked Tanner and appointed a new butler!" I exclaim drawing his face back to look at me.

"Firstly shhh." His index finger comes up to his mouth and shushes me. It's sexy as hell, even as a warning and I don't ignore it. "Secondly, everyday I think of talking with you, something happens and I get derailed." He says. "And thirdly she is our cousin. Tanner and Landon's adopted daughter."

"She's our cousin." I gape and briefly glance at the butler. Oh my God. "You didn't try very—"

"Shhhh." That finger rests sexily on his lips again, interrupting me. "She's officially the butler I needed for a long time. Tanner was never my butler. He worked for mom and dad otherwise dad wouldn't have let him to live with us for his bad habits. It's a long story."

"I've all the time." I'll sit in the warm car and listen to him explaining, because I've always wondered why? Why Tanner, our own uncle, is the butler. It's insane.

"Right here?" He looks around the car.

"Yes." I'm determined. Procrastination derails him. So if I have my answer here and now, he wouldn't be derailed again.