"That was a mistake." He paused. "Anna, whatever they sent you here to do-"

"They didn't send me. I escaped."

"No one escapes."

"All these centuries and you're underestimating me now?"

"If you're not one of them, what is it you want?"

"I want to help."

"You want to help?"

"Yes."

"Then what are you doing with that knife?"

There was a long pause and Anna drew the knife before saying, "I'm not allowed to defend myself?"

"Against whom? That blade doesn't work against angels. It's not like this one." He held a long silver knife. "Maybe you're not working for Heaven. But there's something you're not willing to tell me."

Anna paused and steeled herself. "Sam Winchester has to die." She looked at Castiel's shocked face. "I'm sorry, but we have no other choice. He's Lucifer's vessel."

"He's not the only one."

"What, that guy Nick?"

"He's burning away as we speak. No. Sam is the only vessel that matters. You know what that means? If Lucifer can't take Sam, his whole plan short-circuits. No fight with Michael, no Croatoan virus. The Horsemen go back to their day jobs."

"Even if you could... kill Sam, Satan would just bring him back to life."

"Not after I scatter his cells across the universe." Castiel turned away. "They'll never find him. Not all of him."

There was a long pause and Castiel said, "I'll find another way."

"How's that going? How's the Colt working out? Or the search for God? Is anything working? If you want to stop the devil, this is how."

"The answer's still no. Because Sam is my friend."

"You've changed."

"Maybe too late, but I have." He turned back to her. "Anna, we've been through much together, but you come near Sam Winchester and I'll kill you."

Anna heard his words and disappeared a moment later.

Castiel looked up.

EXT. STREET

A young woman and a young man were sitting in a car, smoking. A Phoenix with outstretched fiery wings was on the hood of a car.

The young woman and young man leaned in for a kiss.

Anna slammed on the hood of the car, her mouth bloody.

"Oh my God!" the young man cried.

The young man and young woman got out of the car and rushed up to Anna.

"Hey," the young man called.

"Oh my God," the young woman said.

"Hey. Are you okay?"

"We have to get her to a hospital."

The young man and young woman helped her get up and into their car. On a nearby wall was a billboard advertising Grease, starring John Travolta and Olivia Newton-John, releasing June 16, 1978.

INT. MOTEL ROOM - NIGHT

Castiel drew a symbol in chalk on a table. Sam sat on the far bed, Dean paced and Francesca sat on the counter.

"Really?" Dean questioned. "Anna? I don't believe it."

"It's true," Castiel replied.

"So she's gone all Glenn Close, huh? That's awesome."