36. The Wrong Button

I continued to stare at the ceiling above me while laying on my bed as the reaper near the foot of my bed fiddled with his sleeves.

Getting tired of the silence between us, I started,

"So Six-"

"Seven." The reaper gritted out, making me smirk. I deliberately called him Six to get him riled up.

"I've wanted to ask you about the murderer-"

"And I've already told you that I won't answer any questions unless Fred asks me personally." He said sternly.

A sigh escaped my lips. At least I tried.

It had been a couple of months since I won the hunting competition.

Brother Percy had managed to kill two ghouls and as Roman insisted on me keeping the dragon, we won the competition the moment they turned our wooden box upside down and all the beasts we hunted fell to the ground in a huge pile.

Roman was more than happy to give me the prize. He even let brother Percy keep his sapphire pendant as he felt bad (or not) about taking the pendant I made for him.

Winning the competition made a nice impact on my reputation. Nobles who saw me that day realised that I am capable of fighting and would prove to be a strong ruler.

After helping the council ministers on daily basis, I've gotten their support as well.

I'm neck to neck with Fred in the race for the throne right now.

Speaking of Fred, he'd worked hard too. He's established a good connection with other Princes and foreign dukes.

And he was currently, as Seven put it, coming to my room for some goofing around.

Seven had come over more than ten times over the months to meet Fred, the guy he claims to love.

He somehow knew when Fred wanted to sneak around and would magically appear a few minutes before that to hit on him. Fred had evaded the scene as soon as he saw Seven but that did not stop his advances.

I heard the door creaking as Seven instantly shot up. Fred's head poked in as he looked at me mischievously, "Wanna go midnight snack hunting?"

"Yes, my love." Seven answered instead and Fred's eyes shot up to him, "You know what, nevermind." And then he tried to close the door but Seven used some kind of magic to pull him inside and locked the door behind him.

Fred let out a squeak of fright like a mouse caught in a trap, "George! He's using his magic on me! It's scary! Tell him to stop!" He screamed and wiggled around as if to get away from the magic.

"Stop." I told Seven who sneered in response, walking closer to Fred as I followed him, "Hello my Prince, why do you always run away when you see me?" Seven asked sadly with a hand on his heart, "You make me sad."

"And you make me crap my pants! Let me go, you witch!" He tried to move back but whatever magic Seven did on him wouldn't allow him to.

"Oh, that's so sad. I merely came to gift you these." Seven mumbled before snapping his fingers, making a plate of delicious-looking chocolate truffles appear in his hand.

The smell of the chocolates wafted towards me and my mouth watered.

Damn, Fred's going to fall for his trick.

"Okay, what do you want in exchange for those delicacies?" Fred asked as his eyes refused to leave the plate of truffles.

Seven grinned and opened his mouth to speak but I quickly whispered in his ear, "I want to remind you in case you speak anything perverted to my brother." I paused for that dramatic effect, "I have a knife and I'm not afraid to use it."