6| Giving In

Nora

"You've got an admirer." Was the first thing Gracie said to me when I reached Dixon's.

"Huh?" I made my way inside my office, cautious. 

Five freshly plucked, long stemmed roses were bunched on my table. They were blood red and smelt divine. They were the only beautiful thing on my table. I looked at the card that was attached, taking in the manly handwriting, trying my best not to smile but failing miserably.

I'm still thinking about you.

-Nicolas

I had to say this was sweet. When I'd denied his offer, I hadn't expected him to still try and convince me. He wasn't a person who usually ran after women. Women willingly surrendered themselves to him. I was one of those. Even though I hadn't, I wanted to. Badly. But my self respect was much more important to me than my lust for him, and I knew I needed to have some kind of self control when it came to him.

I found his contact number on the other side and placed the card on the table, shaking my head. I asked Gracie to find me a vase, the roses were too beautiful to be wasted. My phone rang. I didn't need to look at the card to confirm his number.

"Nora."

"Nicolas. What are you trying to do?" I asked.

"Just telling you that you're on my mind." I heard a creak from his side and imagined him leaning back on his chair. "I have a feeling you're gonna be on my mind for a very, very long time."

"The roses were beautiful, thank you. But you didn't need to do that." I said.

"I can still feel you, Nora. I've had to go through three meetings with a hard on. You've got the advantage here. State your demands."

"This isn't a fucking business deal." I repeated. "I told you, I have no intention of having a one night stand."

"And I told you it's not going to be one night." I could hear the frustration in his voice. "We need to discuss what it's going to take to get you under me."

I hung up.

That was the only thing that came to my mind at that time. He didn't call me again, probably because he was mad. Not a lot of people had the courage of hanging up on Nicolas Reid. He wasn't the person you hung up on.

But, there's a first time for everything.

And secretly, I was enjoying a hot billionaire running after me.

~~

"Why didn't Cameron come tonight?" 

"He's got work." Lydia muttered. "But I think he didn't come because he didn't want to."

"Is everything okay with you two?" I asked.

"Yes...no. I don't know." She put her head in her hands. "I don't know what's going on, Nora."

"What do you mean?"

"He's been acting so strange lately. Distant. He's been working late for the past three days. I called up his office yesterday and they said he wasn't there."

I froze. "What? Did you have a fight?"

"Quite the opposite actually. I bared out my soul to him a few days back. I think he was overwhelmed. I just wish he'd tell me if he wanted to break up instead of ignoring me."

"Lyds, he loves you." I said. "He's not breaking up with you."

"Why won't he talk to me? If he wanted space he should've told me. I would have gladly complied." She sighed. "I can't lose him, Nora. I don't know what I'd do."