Happily Ever After

"What's wrong?" Wen Lan almost shouted, rushing into the garden, "I was away only for half a day."

"Oh, it is nothing serious," Heng O let go of Ju Xin's wrist, "I just noticed his Heavenly aura is a little low, so I was checking his qi."

Wen Lan choked on his saliva while Ju Xin was flabbergasted.

Only Dong Qing was having fun. She let out a hearty laugh, holding her stomach. When she cooled down a bit, she said "it is only natural that his Heavenly aura is tainted! Guess-"

"DONG QING!" Wen Lan shushed the Ghost King. No matter how old she was, Heng O was like his little sister, so her innocence had to be preserved.

Dong Qing raised her hands, meaning surrender, but she was smirking nonetheless.

"I will bring some tea, Heng O please help me," Ju Xin dragged Heng O with him into the house where he and Wen Lan were living for a year.

"He is still a shy beauty," Dong Qing said as she sat on the wooden bench.

"Don't call him like that," Wen Lan followed her lead and sat next to her.

"Why? Jealous?"

"Yes, is there a problem?"

"For Huang-quan's sake! You are truly a passionate lover!" Dong Qing exclaimed happily and the voice of a broken cup was heard inside the house.

"See what you did?" Wen Lan reprimanded her and she just shrugged.

It was their ritual. Whenever Dong Qing visited them, she was teasing them so that Ju Xin would blush and Wen Lan would show his caring side. 

"By the way," Dong Qing straightened up a bit, "I heard an interesting story about this village," she said, her red eyes looking at Wen Lan allusively.

Wen Lan feigned a cough, "what kind of a story?"

"Well," she played along, "they say this village was a very lovely place in the past. But one day, the villagers burned a house and chased away the owner of the house. After that incident, the ghosts haunted the village day and night until all those people left the village. What do you think?"

"Hmm, interesting," Wen Lan rubbed his chin, pretending as if he was thinking about something.

Not being able to hold in anymore, Dong Qing slapped his arm, "I can't believe you did such a thing!" she said with a proud tone.

"Well, they shouldn't have done that to my Xin Xin," Wen Lan answered nonchalantly. He had no remorse at all.

"That's the attitude!" Dong Qing clapped her hands. Then a sudden realization hit her head, "don't tell me this is the house..."

Wen Lan nodded, "I rebuilt it, bigger and better."

"Wow," she was impressed, "I need a new husband like you."

"Well, good luck," Ju Xin's voice was heard as he stood near them with a tray in his hands.

Dong Qing puffed, understanding what he was hinting at while Wen Lan simpered, the waves in his eyes hopping left to right naughtily.

The rest of the evening was full of laughter. Although two deities and two Ghost Kings seemed like a weird combination, they enjoyed each other's company genuinely. They talked about three realms, mostly gossip that Dong Qing heard, and drank tea, feeling the warm breeze of the spring.

When Heng O returned to the moon and Dong Qing to her kingdom, the couple collected the cups and went inside.

Lying on the mattress face to face, Wen Lan asked "don't you really want me to remove it?" while caressing the blue leaves-shape curse mark on Ju Xin's arm.

Ju Xin shook his head, "I am quite fond of it, so I want to keep it."

"Still, it is a curse mark, you know," Wen Lan pressed.

"You would never activate it, right?" the deity asked, his almond eyes shining in the dark room with love.

"Never" was the unwavering answer of the Ghost King.

Ju Xin smiled all-knowingly, and suddenly Wen Lan stood up on his elbow and kissed Ju Xin's mole under his left eye.

"Why do you like that mole?" Ju Xin asked with curiosity as Wen Lan was kissing it more than his lips.

"I love every part of you, but I have to admit that I am very attached to this particular mole, it is just too cute."

Hearing his words, Ju Xin chuckled, "as long as you are happy," he said, putting his hand on Wen Lan's cold cheek. Interestingly, he never felt the coldness but the intense warmth underneath the skin.

"I can't be happier," Wen Lan pulled the hand on his cheek and kissed it before pulling Ju Xin towards himself so that he could rest his head on Wen Lan's chest.

"I love you," Ju Xin whispered, circling his arm around Wen Lan's waist.

"I love you too... forever."

***

That's the end, folk! I hope you liked it.

🌺Thank you for reading, voting and commenting on my story. 🌺