The Ghost King Is Invited to Heaven

After the other deities left, Heng O told Zhu Shen about the happenings in the forest and how she helped Lan Ye to break the spell on Ju Xin.

"I get it that you are on Ju Xin's side and want to help him, but how can we convince a Ghost King to come to Heaven and testify for his 'enemy'?" Zhu Shen asked as she was willing to try what Heng O suggested.

Heng O was highly introverted, spending her time alone on the moon, not even attending the meetings. She only liked to spend time with her brother, Heng Bo, the God of River, but as he was quite busy all the time, she was used to sitting alone on the moon, watching the living realm during nights. Therefore, if she was there in person and offering willing help, Zhu Shen believed her judgement about the incident.

"He will help," Heng O said firmly, "as long as you let me go find him and grant permission for him to enter Heaven."

So, there is an untold story between you and Lan Ye as well, Zhu Shen said inwardly before taking out a piece of paper and a brush from a drawer. Then, she sat back in her seat, folded her sleeve and wrote something on the yellow paper. After the ink dried, she rolled the paper and handed it to Heng O.

"It is a permission for you to take one of TianGou, the Celestial Dog, and bring the Ghost King of Xin only if he is willing."

"Thank you, Your Highness," Heng O beamed and left the room with the permission in her hand. Although she would like to talk with Ju Xin first, he was confined in his palace and deities were forbidden to see him. Therefore, she decided not to waste any time. She showed the paper to a TianGou who was guarding the gates of Heaven and asked it to come with her.

The huge black dog nodded and together they came down to the living world and then to the west. Thanks to TianGou, Heng O reached her destination quite fast. When she felt the powerful blue aura of Lan Ye underneath her feet, she sent TianGou back to Heaven after making it promise her that it would come immediately when she called it. Then, she knelt down to the earth and burned a charm, chanting Lan Ye's name over and over again, but as Wen Lan.

It worked; after half an incense stick of time, Wen Lan really appeared in front of her.

"Who are you?" he asked, towering over her, "how do you know my name?"

"It is me, Lei Lei," Heng O said softly with tears in her eyes. She had dreamed about meeting with Wen Lan again for almost one hundred years, but the possibility of Wen Lan forgetting about her overshadowed her excitement.

"What?" Wen Lan grabbed her arms and pulled her up to her feet to see her face clearly, "are you really Lei Lei? The daughter of the tea house?" he asked with expectation.

"You still remember me Lan ge!" Heng O exclaimed in happiness and threw her arms around his tall figure.

Wen Lan followed her suit and circled his arms around her tiny waist, turning her around himself. He felt so happy, finding that kind-hearted little girl back.

When their heart-warming embrace ended, Wen Lan took her to his palace.

"So, you became a deity, ha?" Wen Lan said with a hint of pride in his tone as if he was her family.

Heng O smiled sweetly as she sat on the cushion, "I know it is very rude of me to say, but I am glad you became a Ghost King. Thanks to that, I found you again."

Wen Lan chuckled for the first time after he separated from Ju Xin. Serving her some Jasmine tea to reenact their memories, he said "tell me everything about you, no wait, only the good things."

Heng O chuckled, "okay, but very briefly because I have something more important to discuss."

Wen Lan frowned, wondering what was that important matter, but it could wait. Finally he felt some ease in his supposedly dead heart, so he wanted to cherish the moment. He nodded nevertheless but with a pout, hoping it would convince her to share as much as she could.