A Visit from a Goddess and Help from a Ghost King

Although his imprisonment was over, Ju Xin had no energy or will to do anything. Therefore, as soon as his trial ended, he went back to his palace and lay on the mattress, thinking about Wen Lan. He genuinely wondered why he saved him, but probably it was the last time seeing him, so he wouldn't be able to ask.

Knock knock.

The knocking on his door broke his trance. He dragged his exhausted body to the door, hoping it wasn't those curious deities.

"Your Highness, I hope you forgive my rudeness to show up without invitation, but I have an important matter to talk to you," Heng O said very politely, standing in front of the door.

"Please come in," Ju Xin stepped aside so that she could enter, "it's my rudeness not to come to your palace to say thank you."

Heng O waved her hand and smiled friendly before Ju Xin led her to the main room. Then he excused himself for a while to prepare some tea.

Before long, he came back with a tray containing a pot of tea and two cute porcelain cups, and put it onto the wooden table between Heng O and himself.

"You should have a lot of questions to ask me, I presume?" she said all-knowingly as he put a cup in front of her.

Ju Xin raised his head and met her gaze, "actually yes, I was wondering if it was a coincidence that you helped us twice."

Heng O smiled alluringly and took a sip from her tea, "the first time was a coincidence, but not the second. I was actually following you that day."

"Why?" he asked with a frown.

"Because of Wen Lan."

Ju Xin's eyes widened, "how come you know his fake name?" he asked, but then he remembered that she was following them, he thought she heard it when he called him by that name.

However, she surprised him.

"It is his original name," she said with a serious tone, leaving no room for possible suspicion.

Ju Xin frowned again with confusion. Who was she?

As if reading his mind, she said "I have known him for a long time."

Seeing the disheartening expression on his face, she shook her hands hastily, "it is not what you are thinking! I knew him from when he was a human. He was... is like a big brother to me, nothing you should worry about," she almost shouted.

"Why should I worry?" Ju Xin tried to deny the allegation she was hinting at.

"Really?" Heng O asked teasingly as she pushed the cup aside and leaned forward, "don't even try, I saw how you looked at Lan Ge."

Ju Xin choked on his tea, making her chuckle. "There is nothing of that kind between us. You were there, so you heard him when he called me his enemy."

"You already know he doesn't treat you like one," Heng O grabbed his hand, "I saw how panicked he was when you almost drowned. I know he lied to you and you must be angry, but tell me only one occasion he treated you badly or harmed you."

"Never," the answer was quick and firm. To his dismay, the time he spent with Wen Lan was the best time in his life. He never felt so happy or cherished before, so the possibility of everything being fake from the start terrified him.

"I don't know what has happened between you, but I do know he cherishes you even if he is reluctant to admit it, he even came to Heaven to save you."

"That's why I am confused," Ju Xin admitted for the first time, "I can't understand him. What was fake, what was real... I can't decide."

Heng O gave him a gentle squeeze on his hand, "then why don't you ask him?"