Hit the Road Again!

Wen Lan, Ju Xin and Dong Qing were sitting in Dong Qing's carriage while the ghost horses were running in the direction of Taishan. With that ghostly speed provided by Wen Lan, it wouldn't take more than two days to reach their destination.

"Only two days, I can survive," Dong Qing mumbled incoherently as the tension between Wen Lan and Ju Xin was sharp enough to cut the air.

From the moment they left Wen Lan's palace, Ju Xin completely ignored Wen Lan's existence, not even looking in his direction. When they got into the carriage, he even refused to sit next to Wen Lan. Therefore, at the time being, Dong Qing was sitting beside Wen Lan while Ju Xin was sitting across them, looking out through the small window.

Dong Qing nudged at Wen Lan, asking silently what was wrong between them. Wen Lan could only heave a sigh as an answer. He knew it was a very bad idea to drag Ju Xin into his initial plan, but he couldn't help it. His complicated emotions were only adding fuel to his misery and Wen Lan was sure that he couldn't live an eternity without knowing the reasons behind Ju Xin's betrayals. Well, Ju Xin probably remembered his last life as a king, but Wen Lan couldn't ask him about it because he didn't want to make Ju Xin more frustrated than he was. He was so nervous about the possibility of Ju Xin changing his mind, so he was determined not to irritate him until they reached Taishan.

So, the trio continued their journey in complete silence until Dong Qing couldn't take it anymore.

"We need to take a break," she announced suddenly and the horses stopped abruptly.

"Is there something wrong?" Ju Xin asked Dong Qing with a frown.

"He needs to rest," she gestured at Wen Lan, "he has been using his spiritual power for the entire day and we don't want him to collapse, right?"

For the first time Ju Xin looked at Wen Lan and noticed he was indeed a bit paler and he looked tired. Unwittingly he opened his mouth to ask if he was okay, but before the words had the chance to come out, he realized what he was about to do and swallowed them back.

"It is-" Wen Lan wanted to reassure him that he had power to continue for two more days but Dong Qing nudged at him to shush him. She tilted her head slightly towards Ju Xin, urging Wen Lan to look at the deity.

Complying, Wen Lan looked at Ju Xin intently. What was that expression on Ju Xin's eyes? Concern? Was it possible?

"It is?" Ju Xin asked with the same concern carried by his tone.

Wen Lan cleared his throat, "it is... a good idea, it was what I was going to say," he uttered and Dong Qing nodded approvingly.

"Oh, okay then, I will check if there is a source of water nearby," Ju Xin said and literally ran away from the Ghost Kings.

"Follow him and please sit together, and let me rest in peace for a while."

Wen Lan chuckled, "I hope you won't rest in peace, Qing Qing, it is not for ghosts, you know."

"Aww, you are so cute," Dong Qing pretended to wipe tears from her cheek.

Wen Lan just shrugged and followed Ju Xin's steps. Now, they were in the territory of Nan Han, so he didn't want to leave Ju Xin alone. Well, Ju Xin was a deity and the barrier around his spiritual powers was removed, but still, for Wen Lan, he was someone who was in need of constant protection.

So, Wen Lan walked through the green area and found Ju Xin crouched down in front of a small river. There were fireflies around, illuminating his fairy silhouette. If Ju Xin didn't notice Wen Lan's existence, he had the potential to ogle him until the end of the world.