The Third Life

In his next life, Wen Lan was born in the Kingdom of Dong. He was the only child of a farmer couple and was loved dearly regardless of his blue eyes. His family used to tell him that the Rain Master kissed his soul, so he had the mark of water. He grew up happily by helping his family and playing around in the huge fields to his heart's content. Although he was itching to meet with Ju Xin again, at least in his third life, he was joyful.

However, it didn't last long...

When he was twenty one, the drought hit the kingdom hard. The common people had to reduce the times of the meals as well as the portions. Still, they believed the king would solve the problem soon. However, the king died suddenly and the throne passed to his hidden son who was eighteen years old by that time.

After the coronation, the whole kingdom heard about the news and wished a long life for the new king.

Well, not everybody.

Hearing the new king's name was Ju Xin, Wen Lan's soul almost left his body. How could that bastard be the king?! Apparently, Heavens didn't have any pity on him as it was impossible for Wen Lan to confront Ju Xin in his third life as well.

The shocking news left a bitter taste in Wen Lan's mouth for a good while, but the worst was yet to come.

After Ju Xin became the king, he didn't do anything about the drought, and the entire kingdom came to the point of starvation. Rice was long gone and pumpkin was diminishing fast. Before long, there were only wind and water to eat and drink. People were praying to gods and goddesses for help, but even their king didn't care. He never left his palace, not even once. Soon, the queen died and Ju Xin sent all the palace workers home except one maid and five guards.

Wen Lan didn't ponder on the issue as before long, his parents died due to hunger.

Seeing his parents' death by his own eyes, Wen Lan lost his reason to live. He buried his parents in the barren field and went back home. There, he lay for a week, doing literally nothing. He looked like a living corpse, pretty much like everyone in the kingdom.

At the end of the week, he came to a resolution. As he had nothing to lose and was sure to die soon, he decided to confront Ju Xin. He wanted to ask why he didn't care about his people, why he let them die. Sure enough, Ju Xin was a bad person in his previous two lives, but that kind of cruelty was beyond the world.

With determination came strength. He managed to stand up and left the house for the last time. By walking limply, he passed through the city which was filled with dying people. Wen Lan heard their curses directed to Ju Xin and couldn't help but share those feelings. Some even talked about a second revolt (the first was quelled even before starting), but the people had neither the energy nor the hope.

Although it took a very long time, Wen Lan managed to reach the palace at night time. As the main entrance had two guards, he went to the back entrance. Interestingly, there were no guards there and Wen Lan found a hole near the huge iron gates, hidden by bushes. With difficulty, he passed through the hole and crossed the now barren garden and entered the palace.

Wen Lan had never been into the palace before, but he knew it wasn't normal for the palace to be completely dark. The furniture was covered by white sheets and there was nothing valuable around. It was as if ghosts were taking control.

"Ju Xin!" he yelled disrespectfully in the dark hall. His voice echoed in the empty area, but there was no response.

Still, Soul Lock was shining in silver, indicating Ju Xin was near. Therefore, Wen Lan decided to check upstairs. As he was in the middle of the stairway, panting heavily, a figure appeared at the end of it.

"What are you doing here?" a tired voice asked without any emotions.

Hearing the voice, Wen Lan raised his head and saw Ju Xin's ghastly figure. Although the entire palace was in darkness, Wen Lan didn't fail to see how bad Ju Xin looked under the dim light of the candle he was holding. His cheeks were sunken, his skin was ash colour and his eyes lost their light. Wen Lan thought he was sick.

"I asked you a question," Ju Xin pressed, but Wen Lan kept his silence as the swirl of emotions covered his entire existence. How come he could be satisfied yet sorry for Ju Xin's condition?

While he was dealing with his inner dilemma, Ju Xin lost his interest in the man. "You can do whatever you want, but don't take too much time," he said softly and attempted to go, but Wen Lan's voice stopped him.

"You didn't recognise me again, but it is okay as it doesn't matter anymore."

Ju Xin looked confused, his eyebrows knitted together. Then he exhaled heavily and said, "I am truly sorry for not recognising you, but I have to go now."

"WAIT!"

"What now?" the tired king asked, irritated, but he kept standing nonetheless.

"Why did you abandon us? How could you let your own people die while you were sitting comfortably here?!"

Hearing his words, Ju Xin's lips twitched unwittingly, yet he came to his senses fast. From his red sleeve, he took out a half-rotten orange and threw it to Wen Lan who caught it by reflex. "Hang on for a short while," he said calmly before shouting "GUARDS!"

In a second, two guards appeared and dragged the jibbing body of Wen Lan, throwing him out of the iron bars. As Wen Lan had no energy left, he leaned his back against the cold bars and looked at the half-rotten orange in his hand until his eyes closed and never opened again.