•T H I R T Y - E I G H T•

♪ And I try, I try, I really do, I really doTry to pretend that I get it, 'Cause I'm hoping it will click some day ♪{Tove Lo—Anywhere u go}

Try to pretend that I get it, 'Cause I'm hoping it will click some day ♪
{Tove Lo—Anywhere u go}

Heart still weighing heavily, Harriet puckered her lips and rubbed on her peachy lip-stain. The day before, she'd discussed with Samuel the possibility of her choosing her husband soon—very soon. As she sat beside him in her office, in her nightgown, while eating breakfast, she didn't want to blindside him or shock him when she made an announcement. And for the safety of her guests, and that of her remaining contenders, she needed to assert her winner, to end the season and send everyone home. The sooner she closed the celebrations, the sooner she could focus on capturing Newton and protecting her people. And while she pranced about in pretty dresses, dancing with men that she knew she'd never elect as Vidame, culprits were on the run, one of them being a former suitor for her hand.

There was nothing any of them could do, for now, like Johanna had stated. Jacob had informed her he and Virgil and the other advisors, along with Sir Baxter and Archibald, were dealing with everything, and she needed only to sit back and wait.

Patience wasn't one of Harriet's virtues, and she required a distraction. So she chose to hold the May the second scheduled ball despite the dire state of the city.

Townsfolk were afraid when news had leaked that Newton's band of men were nearby and that one of her contenders was a traitor. Staff members were on edge and guards were on the alert, sometimes overly cautious. None would let Harriet wander about on her own, even when Samuel was with her. And now, alone in her chambers, two guards were outside the door, permitted to only let in Johanna or her counselors.

That night, at the ball—the one Victoria had made a fuss about fitting her for the day before, despite Harriet's negative mood—she would tell everyone her decision.

Sir Samuel Allen, heir to the Arderry tobacco fortune, will be my spouse, and the new Vidame of Limesdale.

As she glanced at her gown—sprinkled in white roses and apricot colored tulle—she dreaded having to slip into it and don the airs of a woman who'd made up her mind. Because, in truth, deep in the farthest confines of her soul... she hadn't. She wasn't ready. She needed more time to see if Jules would pop up, if he'd return, if he'd apologize and tell her she was all he'd ever wanted and that he'd meant everything he said. And she needed a chance to decide if such a drastic action would win her over... or drive her farther into Samuel's arms.

The door creaked open, and for the tiniest of moments she envisioned Prince Jules appearing in the threshold, in his Sir Di Nuzzo disguise, grinning as if he'd never vanished, as if all the drama was part of his plan. As if he'd plotted this to test her, to see if she was worthy of him, to see if she cared for him.

But as she got to her feet and tightened the ropes of her robe, she struggled not to frown at the sight of Jacob instead.

And he caught her disappointment, as his weak smile faded. He inclined into a quick bow. "Forgive the intrusion, but I had to make you aware of the news. We... apprehended Newton."