•N I N E T E E N•

♪ I lay in the fire, cry and I cry over nothingI make a monsoon, and it's about you ♪{Tove Lo—Come Undone}

I make a monsoon, and it's about you ♪
{Tove Lo—Come Undone}

Despite drowning in Sir Allen's arms, Harriet knew the dance had to end. And when it did, dreadful as that moment was, she slithered off to the buffet to scarf down a few macaroons and wash them down with wine, desperate to fill her belly with something other than butterflies.

As she finished her second pastry, Sir Bain approached her. "Miss?" He bowed, blinking as his gaze trailed from her décolleté to her waist, then back up to her eyes. He and the other counselors had made themselves scarce, wanting to let her form her own opinion. But Sir Bain had still adorned one of his best suits—a shiny silver unbuttoned at the top, garnering attention from the ladies—as was his custom. "It is getting late, and you have many events to come tomorrow, and the following days. Have you danced with all the suitors yet?"

She swallowed her last drops of alcohol and set the cup down on the table, noticing for the first time the intricate rose stitching on the cloth. "Well..." She winced, catching her final suitor from the corner of her eye. He dawdled in the background, weeding through a small horde of ladies who'd demanded his attention. "All but one. Sir Di Nuzzo," she tried not to roll her eyes, "has not had a chance."

Nostrils wrinkling in disgust, she stared at Di Nuzzo, trying not to growl at the sight of the women fawning over him. He adopted an intimidated, uncomfortable façade, but it wouldn't fool Harriet; she knew he loved the admiration, the veneration. He thrived on compliments and eyelashes batting at him.

Even disguised, he draws them all to him.

Sir Bain snuck in front of her, blocking her view. "Do you think it would be all right to... omit him, this time? I realize who he really is, but would he understand if you postponed your dance with him?" His nose twitched. "I would not ask, but... the guests are growing restless, and some have already had too much to drink. It is getting a bit... out of hand." He jutted the side of his face to his left, and Harriet followed, stilling at once at the sight.

Ralph had apparently challenged Archibald to a drinking contest, and was about to heave one of the ale barrels over his head to drain it.

"Oh, heavens." Harriet gasped and covered her mouth.

Jacob, Abraham, and Samuel all interfered to stop Ralph from his drastic actions, by snatching the barrel from him. Sirs Crane and Longley took Ralph by the elbows, suggesting he retire for the night.

Harriet returned to Sir Bain and emitted a nervous chuckle. "Yes, you are right, it is time to conclude tonight's party."

She wouldn't complain. She was exhausted, and any excuse to avoid Sir Romero Di Nuzzo worked for her. In truth, she'd been avoiding him most of the night, hoping she wouldn't have to be alone with him. Hearing his apologies and his promises caused pangs of pain in her stomach, and woke past images of his cruelties towards her. The longer she could steer clear of him without drawing suspicion... the better.