•T W E N T Y - T W O•

♪ I poured you a glass of wine and drank it for the second timeThen 7pm turned to 10, I'm still alone and my lips are red ♪{FLETCHER—If you're gonna lie}[EXPLICIT warning for the song]

Then 7pm turned to 10, I'm still alone and my lips are red ♪
{FLETCHER—If you're gonna lie}
[EXPLICIT warning for the song]

Snooping at the scene from the Dining Room's threshold, Johanna saw Harriet sit through her impromptu late dinner with Ralph. And despite the semi-darkness—the only candles were on the table—Johanna detected her sister's discomfort. She winced whenever Ralph spoke, gritted her teeth when he raised his voice in excitement, and rolled her eyes whenever he brought up the hunt she'd missed that afternoon. And though she seemed to enjoy the food, Johanna knew Harriet wasn't enjoying herself.

The supper was supposed to be with Prince Jules... and he did not show.

She'd hoped to God the Prince had meant what he'd said, that he was following his heart, and that he'd keep his promises. Yet he'd betrayed Harriet at the first opportunity. He'd ditched her in her pretty dress, forcing her to check the clock every few minutes in desperation for him to join her. Once more, Prince Jules had hurt Harriet, and abandoned her to be embarrassed by him. Luckily, Ralph had been passing through, and harbored no anger at Harriet having shunned his hunting invitation. A kind soul, he was, under his bulky shape and grunting demeanor.

Johanna pulled away from the door-frame and pressed into the wall against which she'd been standing. Was Jules' slight some sort of back-handed revenge because Harriet hadn't danced with him the night before? Or was his presence a joke, like Harriet had implied?

"I prayed for him to be sincere," said Johanna under her breath as she proceeded up the stairs. "I prayed for him to not harm her again... and he did." She took the steps one at a time, then switched to two, then hopped up until she reached the landing. She peered left and right, then flurried up the second staircase, intent on going to bed. But she paused at the top of the steps instead, glaring at her bedroom door.

Behind that door were Prince Jules' belongings. She imagined they were folded into the drawers, some stuffed into the closet, a few items scattered over the floors. And she had half a mind to creep in and torch his clothes, rip his coats, drill holes into his shoes out of anger—but were his things still there? Or had he already packed up, leaving at the first sign of difficulties, at the sight of the fierce competition for Harriet's affections?

Johanna had devoted all day tailing Prince Jules, to better gauge his intentions... yet she had no way to answer her own questions. As it happened, he'd spent his day... tailing Harriet, observing her in all her meetings with her suitors. He'd taken notes—Johanna never got close enough to catch what he wrote—and groaned and slouched and muttered to himself. He'd kept to the shadows so Harriet wouldn't see him, and if she had, she said nothing. Johanna doubted it, especially when she was with Sir Allen, her attention focused on him. Jules hadn't appreciated that at all, and scribbled furiously while the Vidame walked arm in arm with Sir Allen. He'd crouched behind bushes, concealed himself behind trees, and tiptoed behind the assigned chaperone, who he'd warned not to announce his presence.