Prologue

So I'm starting a new story and I would love your feedback. I've been working on this for a while, but I'm not sure if it's good. So here's chapter one of Holding Onto Nothing. I hope you like it. Plus, here's picture of Lukas. ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->

Prologue

I lost him. But I didn't lose him to another girl or a different city, state, country, or continent. No, I lost him to the worst possible thing ever, the only thing that could ever assure that I would never get him back. I lost him to death.

I remember every single detail of that God awful night. The midnight blue sky made the earth seem dark and scary as Luke drove down the long road to take me home. He looked over at me, staring for a few seconds before speaking again. "I'm sorry, babe. I swear I didn't mean to make a scene, but he was just... well, you know." He placed a warm hand on my cold knee. I didn't look at him. If I looked into those beautiful brown eyes now I would just forgive him and I wasn't ready to, not yet.

I moved my leg to the right so his hand would slip off. "Whatever, Luke," I rolled my eyes. I was furious at him for what he did. He'd embarrassed me in front of the entire restaurant, all because a guy hit on me. He knew I loved him, so what was the point in doing that? It's not like I was interested in that dude...

The car slowed to a stop and I looked through the windshield, but there was no red light, just the road that was lit up by the black convertible Mustang's headlights. "Luke, I want to go home."

"Please just forgive me. I mean, it wasn't that bad. When are we going to see those people again? They don't even know you, Ronnie." He looked into my eyes. His soft expression was tempting me to kiss him, but I was mad. I looked away from his guilty face and through the window. The grass was wet from the heavy rain that had just stopped and the sky seemed ominous. The moon and stars were dim and nothing felt... right.

"Okay, Luke. I-" But I was interrupted by something slamming into Luke's door. I felt the car topple down the semi-steep hill. My entire body had hit some part of the interior of the car by the time we got to the bottom of the hill.

Hot tears were streaming down my cheeks as the pain set in and I felt tired. I heard a groan and I looked in Luke's direction. "Ronnie, are you okay?" He looked into my eyes. I noticed that his beautiful light brown eyes were full of pain.

"Yes, Luke, and I forgive you. I'm so sorry." I cried. He took my hand and I realized that his hand was wet. I pulled my hand away and examined it in the faint moonlight. My hand was red, and red means blood.

"I know you are, Ronnie." He managed a smile.

I began to hyperventilate at the sight of his blood. "Luke, you're bleeding." I felt tears stinging my eyes and something was sliding down my back. It was a liquid and then I understood, I was bleeding, too.

"Ronnie, hold my hand, please." Luke whispered weakly. He extended his bloody hand out to me and I took it. I pressed my face into his chest as I sobbed. We were going to die here. We'd bleed to death, but at least we would be together. "Call 9-1-1, Ronnie." He closed his eyes.

"Don't leave me, Luke, please!" I cried, squeezing his hand. He opened his eyes and looked into mine. I picked up my phone and dialed 9-1-1.

"9-1-1, what's your emergency?" The operator asked calmly.

"My boyfriend and I got... We got hit by something, maybe a truck, and we're both bleeding. I... I don't know what to do, I feel drowsy and he keeps dozing off. Please help me." I sobbed harder.

"Calm down, honey. First tell me where you are." The operator became more alert.

"I don't really know, um," I squinted to see the street sign and I told her what I thought I saw. I had a horrible headache from the stress.

"I've sent a few officers, a fire truck, and an ambulance. Do you think you could stay with me a little bit longer?" The woman on the other end asked.

I closed my eyes. "I'm not sure; I just want to sleep for an hour. I'm really sore and tired." I opened my eyes again and everything was blurry.

"Please stay awake, darling. Um, what's your whole name?" She tried to distract me from my sleepiness.

"My name, my name is Ronnie?" The statement sounded more like a question and I felt myself getting really tired. I closed my eyes and they slowly opened again, "Ronnie, um, Veronica Gabrielle Sterling."

I heard a pencil against paper, "And your boyfriend?"

"Lukas Alexander Richardson, I'm going to sleep now if you don't mind." I yawned. I couldn't think straight, so a nap would probably help me. The last thing I saw or heard was red and blue lights and the sound of a police car's siren.

"No!" The operator screamed before I disconnected the call by pushing 'END'.

I looked at Luke. He was sleeping peacefully, our hands intertwined and covered with blood. I smiled and closed my eyes. "I love you, Lukas." I whispered. And I drifted off to sleep with him.