Chapter 6

Chapter 6

“I don’t know, Kelly. I haven’t dressed up like this in a while.” I look at myself in the mirror, unsure of the outfit that I’m wearing.

I have on a short black skirt that stops an inch above my knees and a tight white V-neck that I have to wear a white tank top under because 1) I don’t want to show any cleavage and 2) the shirt would be see-through without the tank top.

“You look great, Veronica. Just calm down, it’s not like you’ve never been on a date with Reagan before.” Kelly runs a brush through my long brown hair. I stare at my light green eyes in the mirror. I’ve really changed. And it’s all because of Reagan. He’s restored me, like they restored those old Disney movies. Except, this is even better than a movie, this is real.

“Whatever you say, Kel,” I smile at my reflection.

The doorbell rings. “That’s him!” Kelly squeals, tossing my hair over my shoulders.

“I better get going then.” I walk to the front door and open it.

Reagan is standing in front of me in a tight black shirt and some jeans. Although he’s dressed casually, he looks fantastic. “Hey… you look beautiful.” He smiles down at me. “But you didn’t have to get all dressed up like this. I would’ve taken you the way you always go.”

“Actually,” Kelly squeezes my shoulders. “She’s going to be dressing like this more often.”

“She is?” Reagan looks at me.

“I am?” I say at the same time as I look over my shoulder at Kelly.

“She is.” She looks at Reagan. “You are.” She turns to me.

“I am.” I smile uncomfortably. I laugh it off and step closer to Reagan, forcing Kelly to let me go. “Anyways, let’s go.” I grab Reagan’s hand and squeeze it.

“Where are we going, Reagan?” I ask as we leave the restaurant. I thought and we would head home after dinner, but Reagan’s not going the right way.

“It’s a surprise.” Reagan informs me. “Just wait and see.”

I look at him. “I don’t like surprises.”

“You’ll love this one, Ronnie. I promise.” He keeps his eyes on the road, a firm and smug smile forms on his lips.

“Okay, Reagan,” I force the words out. I look out the window at the dark sky. The moon shines brightly in sky, a waxing crescent, I believe. I smile at the moon and watch the sky as the first star comes into view. 2 minutes after the car stops, I see the second star, too.

“We’re here.” Reagan informs me.

I look at him. A smirk rests on his lips. “What have you been doing for past 2 minutes?” I ask him. I knew the car had stopped, but I wanted to see the second star come out.

“I was staring at you.” His eyes drift over to the stars in the sky. “You were really focused on something. I didn’t want to interrupt you.”

“Aw, how sweet,” I roll my eyes and smile at him. “So what’s the surprise?” I look out the window again. “And where are we?”

“So many questions… Just wait for it, Ronnie.” He gets out and opens my door for me. I undo my seatbelt and allow him to pull me out of the car. I look in front of us and see what the surprise is.

A string of multicolored lights illuminate either side of a worn out granite path. Somehow, even though it is old and worn, the path looks beautiful under the lights. It seems so smooth. “What is this?” I ask Reagan, but I don’t look away from the beautiful scene.