let's get together

Start from the beginning

"But it's eleven at night," Janis mutters, confused.

"Honey, you need a milkshake. Any kind you want."

"Do you have Oreos?" She mumbles.

"Jan, you've known me for, like, fourteen years and you practically live here. You know we always have Oreos," Damian chuckles into her hair, still holding her tightly. "I'll have strawberry please."

"Okay. I'll bring them up in a while, you guys go get comfortable," Ms. Hubbard says, rubbing Janis' back one last time as they go.

"Thanks, Ma. Love you," Damian says over his shoulder.

Damian gives her the good blanket to curl up with, letting her wrap up in it before pulling her close again so they can watch a movie together.

"Do you wanna talk about it?" He asks softly as his mom comes up with their milkshakes. Oreo vanilla for her, strawberry for him. She pecks them both on the forehead before she goes again, telling them to come find her if they need anything.

Janis is quiet for a second, sucking down her shake furiously so she doesn't start sobbing again. "I think- think Cady might be right, Damian," she whispers eventually.

"Right about what?"

"I think I do love her," she chokes out, hearing Damian inhale sharply next to her. "And she-she used it against me. She meant it as an insult. Like it's a bad thing I might like her that way." She can feel the tears burning behind her eyes again.

"Oh, Janjan," Damian hums sadly, leaning against her.

"Why does this always happen? What did I do in a past life to deserve all this shit?" Janis sobs.

"I don't know, Jan. But I do know you don't deserve this, Cady had no right to say that to you. And I know that one day, some girl is finally going to love you the way you deserve to be loved. She's going to treasure you, and value you, and treat you right. We'll make it through this," Damian says, and Janis looks to him when she notices he sounds choked up.

"Why are you crying?" She asks, now trying to comfort him.

"I hate seeing you hurt," Damian chokes. "I'm hurt too. Cady lied to me too, but she hurt you more. She hurt my best friend and that just makes it worse."

"Dame, you're allowed to hurt too. You're right, she did shitty things to you too. I just- something has to give here, none of us can keep going like this. It's like she's not even the same Cadd-Cady anymore. She hurt my best friend too. I'm not gonna stand for that."

Damian rubs his eyes with a sleeve, sniffling slightly. "You're something else, you know that?" He asks with a watery chuckle. "We can talk about this more later, we're both exhausted, sweets. What movie should we watch?"

"You pick." Janis says, cuddling into his chest. He always smells like cinnamon cookies, and it always makes her feel better.

He brings up Mary Poppins and settles in, holding her close. By the time Supercalafragalisticexpialidocious is playing from the TV, they're both sound asleep, dreaming of happier times.

They're both a little broken, but they make each other feel whole. Their parents always joked that they were platonic soulmates, and they're starting to believe them.

———

Janis realizes she's definitely in love with Cady Heron on May 12, 2018.

Cady had burst into the gym flanked by her Mathletes, fire of adrenaline burning in her eyes, and marched her way up to Janis and Damian to apologize. Or try to, anyway, since she got called up to claim her crown before she got a chance.