viii. 𝚊𝚣𝚣𝚊𝚗𝚘

Start from the beginning

Smiling, Evelyn said, "Bucky would kill me if he knew I was doing this."

"Then, why do it?"

"Because his ass won't let me know he's alive."

Peggy snorted as two large vans appeared through the gates. Along with the vans, soldiers were being brought in on their own automobiles. The vans were Steve and his group of dancing girls. The soldiers were the ones from Azzano.

"Are you going to watch the show?" Peggy asked as Evelyn stood, stepping on the butt of her cigarette. Evelyn nodded. "Phillips will be mad if we don't go tend to those men."

Evelyn shrugged. "Phillips has made me mad a lot, too." Peggy smirked and nodded, both women taking a seat on the nearest rail to watch the show.

It was certainly not like the shows she found in the newspapers and on film. She smiled at Steve's outfit, his tremendous attempts to get the crowd feeling a bit better after the Azzano attack. They hated him, of course, heckling and bullying him—even mooning him at one point! Steve quickly rushed off the stage with the girls coming back on causing the meat-heads to cheer at their appearances. Peggy and Evelyn simultaneously sneered at the men.

When it began to rain, Evelyn sighed, pulling the hood of her jacket over her head as Peggy opened the umbrella she brought with her—seemingly always prepared.

The pair walked to the stage, going behind to find Steve. He was doodling in a book, and Evelyn frowned at the performing monkey dressed as Captain America. Leaning forward, she touched his arm.

Though he was feeling depressed, a bright grin made its way onto his face at the sight of her. He stood, engulfing her in his arms as they hugged for a moment. Peggy smiled at the best friends reuniting. She even saw the first genuine smile on Evelyn's face in weeks.

"Hey, Stevie."

"Eve," Steve greeted before letting her go. "Aren't you just beautiful. I almost forgot how that curl always fall right," he pointed to the side of her forehead, "there. God, Evelyn. I've missed you."

Evelyn hugged him again, needing the comfort.

When they backed away, Peggy smiled at Steve. "Hello, Steve."

Steve's eyes practically turned to hearts at the sight of the agent. Evelyn smirked to herself. "Hi."

"Hi," Peggy said again causing Evelyn to snort a laugh.

Steve and Peggy both flushed before Steve coughed. "What are you both doin' here?"

"Officially we're not here at all. That was quite a performance," Peggy said with a mischievous look in her eye.

Steve seemed to flush more, rubbing the back of his neck. "Yeah. Uh... I had to improvise a little bit. Crowds I'm used to are usually more uh... twelve."

"I understand you're America's New Hope?" Peggy continued as Evelyn noticed the men moving to the medical tent. She furrowed her brows at their uniforms, trying to read the number on one of the man's sleeves.

"Bond sales take a ten percent bump in every state I visit."

Evelyn scoffed, looking back to the conversation. "Is that Senator Brandt I hear? God, I hate him."

"At least he's got me doin' this. Phillips would have had be stuck in lab," Steve amended.

"I can try to get Phillips to keep you here," Evelyn said softly. "He's been feeling extra bad for me lately," she said with a teasing smile though she felt sick at the thought of something happening to Bucky.