Chapter 8

Friend

The gala was different than I imagined it would be. 

I thought I'd get bored or out of placed without Miles, but even though she's currently missing in action, I find myself enjoying Pierre's company.

He never left my side the whole night. He had introduced me to a couple of his relatives and family friends. It's nice, I must say. It feels great being out in the open with THE Seymour Pierre and not just behind the doors and inside any rooms doing god-knows what. 

"Are you enjoying yourself?" I felt Pierre's warm hands crawl up to my thighs under the table and gently squeezed it. It kindled the heat I've been suppressing in me since I saw him in his suit.

I smiled affectionately at him as he planted a peck on the side of my head. When I turned to the two pair of eyes together with us in this table, I can't help but blush realizing they've been watching us in our small exclusive bubble.

"Ah! Young love! I still remembered the day when I was still dating your Uncle Morgan, Sey. I can still clearly picture him looking at me the same way you look at this fine young lady." Pierre's Aunt Melba dreamily said. I gave an awkward smile holding back a blush. 

"If you don't mind, ma'am---"

"Aunt Melba. After Brianna, I've never thought our Seymour would move—"

"Aunt Melba." Pierre immediately cut off the sister of his mother. I stilled. There's a ghost of warning in his tone. His face immediately darkens as his Aunt seemed to lose her tongue. 

"I'm sorry, Seymour. I thought you've moved on from her." Aunt Melba apologized half assed-ly. There's also a little bit of mockery and innocence in her eyes. I can't imagine what kind of blood runs in the veins of the Dmitry's. They all seem taunting and shrewd.

"I have. I just don't think it's necessary to mention someone who isn't here—" this time, it was her aunt who cut him off.

"Oh, then you'll surprise yourself because I thought I saw her... there she is!" I turned to Pierre and watch his reaction froze when his Aunt pointed onto someone who had just came. I watch how his already foul mood turned equally menacing and petrifying upon hearing the newcomer's arrival. I watch as his hands, which has been resting finely onto my lap, squeezed into a tight fist of ball and the muscle on his jaw clenched.

I watched it all. I witnessed all those passing emotions in his eyes. 

I bit my lip as I can hear tiny bits of pieces of broken glass shatter on the floor, just then that I realized, how my heart breaks watching Pierre being affected by his ex's presence. I looked away.

"I'll just go to the powder room." I excused myself. Even without Pierre's approval, I already left them.

The moment I stepped inside the hallway leading to the bathroom, I hid myself behind the wall because I still can feel Pierre's intense stares on my back.

I bit my lip as I counted to ten to even my breathing. I didn't realize I was holding my breath the whole time Pierre's ex's has arrived.

What is she doing here? I didn't even have the chance to look at her, to see how she looks and what does she have that no matter what she does to Pierre, she would always have his heart. I shut my eyes tight and chastised myself for taking this a little bit too far.

I'm just his fuck buddy. I shouldn't care whether his ex came back or whether he hasn't moved on from her, right? 

But you like him, Ronnie, more than like-like. Fuck, you love the dude! That's why you're hurting!