Chapter Eight

STEFAN

I relaxed back against the cool glass of the elevator. The short day of business weighed heavily on me. We had found one of the men trying to overthrow me from within the Mafia. He was a nobody, really. Some arms dealer I had working for us only a few years now. Once I took over, something shifted. I suspected my uncle was leading it. He wanted to take over but I was the rightful heir.

It took one dead mistress and three fingers before he finally told me two names. My uncle's wasn't one of them, but we were getting somewhere. I flexed my bloody knuckles, bruises starting to form. I needed to soak them in cold water to prevent them from being there tomorrow. After beating him didn't work, Matteo brought in his mistress. I put her on her knees in front of him and held a gun to her head.

Silence. The bastard didn't so much as flinch when I put a bullet in her head. But, once I started cutting off his fingers, thumb to middle, the coward started singing like a canary. Fucking bastard, if anyone had threatened Claire... I didn't get to finish the thought when the elevator opened to my apartment.

I heard loud music and laughing. I stepped out and saw Ox sitting on the couch. He looked miserable. When he saw me, he stood. I walked in, hearing the music get even louder when I got to the kitchen. I looked back at Ox, confused. He shrugged at me.

The door to my spare room was open. I saw Melanie, drink in hand, head thrown back laughing. I stood in the doorway, neither her or Claire noticing me. Claire was wobbling in heels, doing some kind of dance move. They were drunk. Neil's clothes rack sat empty except for two or three things still left hanging, the rest was thrown throughout the room.

Melanie saw me and shot up.

"Stephanie!" She squealed and ran to me, embracing me in a hug. I put one arm around her. Claire's smile faded when she saw me. I saw empty glasses littering the book shelves. Claire was in a black pencil skirt, black bra and white button up, only halfway buttoned. She looked like a fantasy. We looked at each other while Melanie hugged me. She pulled back and I could smell the alcohol on her breath. I kissed her on the head.

"I take it you two settled in nicely." Melanie smiled. She danced over to Claire and slug an arm around her shoulder. They both wavered but didn't fall.

"I love her! You are not allowed to let her go." She said and hit Claire on the nose with her finger. Claire smiled at her but glared at me. Trust me, she wasn't going anywhere.

"Where's Neil?" I asked.

"He couldn't handle us so he left. Don't worry, he kept it in his pants." Melanie cooed. I clenched my fist. I knew Claire wasn't Neil's type, lacking in the penis department, but the thought of any guy even looking at her made me murderous.

"I'll have Ox take you home." I said to Melanie. She walked over to me, stumbling the short way.

"I'm fineeeeeeeeeee." She slurred, now tapping me on the nose. "I'll just get a taxi." She went to grab her wallet that was sitting on the stool and almost fell into it.

"You're drunk, Ox is taking you home." My tone left no room for arguing.

"Fine, whatever Dad." She looked at Claire and giggled. She stumbled past me and out to the kitchen.

"Oxy Cotton, let's go! Stephanie wants you to take me home!" I heard her call after Ox. I shook my head at her and her nicknames.

I waited for the sounds of her and Ox leaving to disappear completely before I looked back over to Claire. She was standing, swaying back and forth. Jesus Christ how much did they drink?

"Come on, let's go." I said to Claire. I walked over to her and went to pick her up. She slapped my hands away.

"I can walker." She said. I knew she meant walk but I didn't correct her. She hiccuped and made a few steps to the door before falling. "Ow!" She yelled but then started laughing. I bent over and took the heels off and lifted her into my arms. I knew it was only because she was drunk, but she rested her head on my chest as I carried her upstairs to our room. I set her on the bed.