Chapter 16- If Heaven Wasn't So Far Away

Amelia's POV (Dream State)

It was so warm here. Everything looked so peaceful and I wasn't in any pain. The ocean looked so calm with small waves crashing in. 

I felt like I could stay here forever, when I hear someone call my name. The voice was so familiar. I looked over and there he was. It was Ryan. And he was with a little boy.

"Amelia....Amelia!" Ryan says. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. I tried my best to run to him,  but I couldn't move any further. "I can't move!" I yelled. "I  know, Amelia. It's okay. We aren't going anywhere." He says. "Who is that with you?" I asked.

"Oh, this is Christopher. He's okay, Amelia. He made it back to me." He states. "Hi, Mama. I'm okay!" Christopher states.

"I miss you both. I'm sorry I moved on." I state, seeing them in disbelief. "Amelia, I am so happy for you. Arizona is so good to you. She is the love of your life and you know that. I know that and I want you to go back to her." Ryan says. "You're happy for me?" I asked him.

"Amelia, you loved me on drugs. That's not real love. Arizona loves you regardless of everything you've been through. She needs you to get back to her. And she needs you to get back for your babies. Yes, I know you are going to have twins. Even though you and her don't know that. You'll see when you go back." He says with a smile. "You and Arizona are soulmates. I know you love Christopher and I more than anything, but you need to go back. We will be okay, and maybe some day we will cross paths again." He finishes.

"I love you, Mama. Take care of my brother and sister!" Christopher says. "I love you both too, buddy. I hope I get to see you again, one day. I can feel myself fading from here. It's time for me to go. See you guys later!" I finish and with that, I am being brought back to reality and man did my head hurt.

________________________________________

Arizona's POV

I could hear groaning and I noticed Amelia's start to wake up. I held onto her hand tightly as she started to open her eyes, she elected for no pain medication because of her past and we knew she was going to be in a world of pain.

I paged Derek to say she was waking up and he'd be here as soon as he could. Meredith and I were in the room with her. Koracick was right outside and then walked in. 

"Amelia, baby I am right here. I am not leaving you." I tell her and she looks at me with a strange face. Did she not remember me?

"Wo bin ich? (Where am I?)" She says. "What language is that? Did you know she spoke another language?" I said, directing my question to Meredith.

"I had no idea, hopefully Derek will be here soon." Meredith says. "Was passiert mit mir? (What is happening to me?" She says, we still have no idea what she is saying. 

Derek comes in and speaks the language she seems to be speaking. "Dir geht es gut, warum sprichst du Deutsch? (You're fine, why are you speaking German?)" He asks, earning a weird look from her.

"Ich spreche kein englisch? (I'm not speaking English?" I asked Derek. "Nein, bist du nicht, ruh dich aus. Wir werden uns bald bei Ihnen melden. (No, you are not, get some rest. We will check on you soon.)" He finishes and she nods and closes her eyes.

"Derek, what the hell was that?" I say with my concern growing. "This is common in post brain surgery patients. We went to a German preschool and learned the language. So she could be reverting back to then. It is commonly temporary. So don't worry, we will cross the bridge when we get there if it's not temporary." He says.

"Derek, I don't know German. How am I supposed to communicate with her? I am pregnant with her child/children, what the hell am I supposed to do?" I say starting to tear up. "You are what?!" Meredith looks at me in shock. "Whoops, I forgot tell you. Amelia and I started IVF and I am carrying. I'm pregnant." I say and Meredith envelopes me in a hug. "I am so happy for you, Arizona. Amelia will be fine. Let her rest, I will get you some food and something to drink. You have been here nonstop for 3 days." Meredith says. "Okay, Mer. Thank you." I say giving her another hug.

_________________________________

A few hours go by before Amelia wakes up again. Man I hope she comes back to English. The only language I could understand. 

"Amelia, honey I'm here. I'm right here, baby." I say with a soft smile. "Shut up." She says with a groan. "What was that?" I say, confused. "Arizona, shut up. You're so loud." She says in an annoyed tone. "Derek gets up and comes to my side and whispers, "She isn't on any pain medication so whatever she is hearing is going to be multiplied to the max." 

"Wait that was English!" I whispered to Derek, excitedly. "That was most definitely English." He whispered back with a chuckle.

"Why are you excited for me to be speaking English? It's what we speak, unless I'm wrong." She says with a soft chuckle then, a groan of pain. "You were speaking German before, Amy." Derek whispers to her.

"Oh that makes sense then, the weird looks from Arizona and Meredith." She says. "Do you know who I am? Do you remember me?" I whisper, almost impatiently.

"Arizona Robbins, badass pediatric surgeon, and my gorgeous pregnant girlfriend. I came back to you. I will always come back to you." She says, holding my hand as I am crying tears of joy. "I love you, Amelia Shepherd. More than anything in the world. You came back to us." I whisper as she moves her hand to my stomach. She rubs my stomach before moving over, motioning for me to lay down next to her.

I look over at Derek, making sure it was okay for me to lay down and he nods. "Just be careful with her, she is going to be fragile for a while." He whispers, as I nod to him. I lay down next to her and she wrap her arm around me, then rubs my stomach instinctively. It felt good to have her back with me and being protective over me. I should be the one protecting her, but she's too good to me. 

A few hours go back and she falls asleep in my arms. Many of our friends stopped by. Mark, Lexie, Callie, Jo, Alex, Maggie, Link, and many others. They all came in and we quietly chatted while Amelia slept. 

I didn't tell any others about the pregnancy. I wanted to wait until we were past the three month mark and get everything checked out. I asked Derek and Mer to keep it to themselves and they happily obliged. 

I laid happily with Amelia as she slept. Making sure to be gentle with her. I can't believe she came back to me. I knew she would, but it was hard to not imagine what could have happened. 

I can finally breathe. Amelia came back to me.

Author's Notes: I had to take a page from season 17 and the beach. It made sense. I hope you're stilling enjoying!