Chapter 6- Work

Callie's POV

I am surprised I was able to make it through these last few weeks. There were times in the first week or so where I wanted to give up so badly, but I promise Arizona I would text her if that happened and I did. She always knows how to calm me down. 

Mark even told me when he called the chief, Arizona already had Alex request the time off for us. It amazes me how gracious she was toward me still, she has no reason to be like this, but she still was. I am grateful, I am not sure I would be able to handle it the way she did. 

Today I am going back to work for the first time in three weeks, I took an extra week than originally planned, and I think it really helped me get into the right head space to be able to go back. I am not sure how I am going to react to seeing Arizona at work again, but it has to happen at some point. 

We were pretty cordial over text, but in person is so much different. I have a feeling it will be awkward at first, but will get better over time. 

The first thing I need when I walk in the doors of the hospital, COFFEE. I swear, I think every doctor in this place keeps this coffee cart operational. The first person I see waiting for coffee is Meredith. I am nervous to talk to her since she is best friends with Alex. I am hoping not too many people hate me.

"Callie, you're back! I missed seeing you around here." Meredith exclaimed while wrapping me in a tight hug.

"I missed seeing you too, Mer!" I said excitedly. "I had to work through some personal things, for example, a break up, but I am ready to get back to work!" I finish.

"Oh Callie, I heard and I was shocked. It's okay, not everything can work out the way we want it to. I am here for you if you need someone, we could get drunk and sing about vaginas again if you want to!" Meredith laughs as she finishes.

"Meredith Grey! In the middle of a hospital?!" I cackle. "Well of course, it's a perfect place to talk about them!" Meredith counters.

We finish talking and we are off to our surgical wings for the day. I wondered where Arizona was, I hadn't seen her yet today.

___________________________________

Arizona's POV

Today was the day I go back to work, and let me tell you, I still feel awful. Was letting Callie go a mistake? Did I make the right choice? I missed her so much, but I had to keep my promise to my brother. Was that promise unrealistic, was I being unreasonable?

I dreaded going to work today and I wish I could just tell the chief I am not ready, but he already gave me more than enough time to mend my broken heart. I feel like my heart is put back together, but my mind is still not caught up. I hope seeing her again isn't as bad as I am thinking it will be. 

Will she hate seeing me? Will she hate me? We have been texting back and forth, helping each other, but was that just because she felt bad for me? 

I jump out of the car and am about to walk to the hospital.

My mind starts to race and my breathing starts to get heavy. I feel myself spiraling, and then I feel arms wrap around me in a bear hug from behind. I knew it was Alex, he always had a cologne smell to him that was unmistakeable. 

I found myself still breathing heavily and my heart racing. After a few minutes, my breathing returned to normal and I spun around to engulf Alex in a hug, burying my face in his chest. I began to cry, and I think Alex caught on to this.

"Shh, it's okay. We will get through today. We have the kidney transplant today on Lucas and he said he was looking forward to seeing us. I had one of the nurses call me to talk to him the other day." Alex explained. "I will even let you do all of the important work, if that's what will help you." He finished.

"Alex, you're lucky those things make me feel better. Otherwise, I would still be crying." I wipe my tears and we walk into the hospital. 

There she was. Over by the coffee cart. She was laughing with Meredith. Laughing, how is she laughing? Is she already over me? Is she already back to normal? 

Wow, maybe I made the right call if she was already back to normal. I don't know why I feel this way, I am the one who ended it with her. 

I think Alex sensed my mind beginning to race again because I felt his hand in mine and it gave me so much comfort. We went in the direction of the pediatric wing elevators. Alex did not let go of my hand until we were in the elevator. We stopped in the attendings' lounge to get changed into our scrubs for the day. 

__________________________________________

No one's POV

It looks like Callie and Arizona have healed at different paces. 

Callie seems as though she is back to her old self and happy. Maybe she just knew and accepted that what happened was her fault and it was time to move on. 

Everyone processes heartbreak differently, and Callie must have processed it better than Arizona.

Arizona seems to have barely made any progress in making her mind believe she was okay. Her heart was put back together, but her mind still needs to catch up. Hopefully April and Alex will be there to help her when she needs it throughout the day. 

What will happen if they aren't there for her? Who is going to help her?

Author's Notes:

Who do y'all think is coming next chapter? Perhaps a new chief of one of the specialties? I think some will enjoy who it will be. Stay tuned! I hope you're enjoying.