Chapter 7

"You are so stubborn!" I complain, as she completed her food.

"Look who's talking." She scoffs.

"Yeah. Right. I was the one who wasn't willing to eat."

"You must know that one should not eat cool things while suffering from ailments."

"Then you must have enough groceries to provide the food you were asking."

"Then you should have just let it be." She raises her voice.

I sigh "there is no point in arguing with you."

"You're right." She huffs in exhaustion. Tiny beads of sweat forming on her forehead.

"How's your temperature?" I ask, striding towards her.

"Much better, I guess." She searches for the thermometer while I gently place the back of my palm over her face. Our faces close. Not too much. Just a little. But enough to make her blush.

I chuckle "better than before." Slipping my hand away from her face, but still close to her. I could feel the heat coming off her face due to fever. "But, it can get better. Rest for a while. And eat something."

"Yes, mom!" She chirps in mock enthusiasm.

"Behave" I warn, tilting her chin. The proximity is killing me. "Bye," I mutter against her lips.

"Bye." She whispers back.

-

My phone rings in the middle of the night. I answer at the prospect of it being Kiran.

"Kiran, it's 2:30 in the morni-"

"Annayya. Amma-" my sister sniffs on the other line.

"Likitha?" I get off my bed, reaching out for my shirt. "What is it? Why are you crying?"

"It's mom, Annayya. She got a stroke. She's in ER now. I'm really freaking out." She cries out.

"Hey. Hey, listen to me. Okay? Take deep breaths. She's in ER, right?"

I can feel her nodding her head before agreeing "yeah. She's in ER."

"Good. She's safe now. I'll be there in ten. Which hospital is it?"

"Don't worry, Dev. You are okay. You will be okay. Don't lose it." I say - no - I pray to him.

"God! It hurts too much, man!" He winces in pain.

"I know that, idiot. Just stop talking and take deep breaths." I shout at him.

"Aw! So cold hear- shit!"

"What is it?" I ask in midst of the ambulance sirens.

"The f-f-file. It's in my- GOD!- it's in my desk. There are e-evidence. Take that to the commissioner." He holds my hand to his dear life.

"Not happening man... WE are submitting that to the commissioner. You're going to be fine. Please." I almost lose it...

"You are so naive." He chuckled