Rural Urbanites Part 5

Start from the beginning

"Okay, so y'all ready to shoot?"

"Alright, y'all, give me just a sec. I'm going to go lock Jade up in the barn so she doesn't get quite so freaked out. She's really scared of loud noises," Uma told them, patting the side of her leg as she headed for the barn. Jade wasted no time in hurrying beside her, her large feathery tail slowly bobbing as she walked along.

"She's the worst with thunderstorms, though," Evie spoke, and George nodded in reply.

"Yeah, that makes sense. Our dogs ain't afraid of them, but I've had plenty of dogs that were," the old man informed them as he started placing all the guns on the ground so that the girls could get the ones they wanted.

"Oh, Mylanta, that's a lot of shotguns," Evie muttered to herself, taking in the sight of them all, and Mal let out a sharp bark of laughter, looking at Evie strangely. Evie just chuckled confusedly.

"What?" Evie questioned oddly.

"'Oh, Mylanta?' What the heck is that supposed to mean?" Mal laughed, and Evie just raised an eyebrow.

"It's just a thing people are saying. Don't question the system, M," Evie told her, and Mal just shook her head with a grin. Right about that time, Uma walked back up to the group.

"Alright, watcha got, George?" Uma questioned, and the old man smiled as he gestured at the shotguns on the ground, ready for the girls to make their choices.

"Go ahead and pick you out a gun," George told them, and Uma immediately brightened as she looked down at all of the different options.

Uma swiftly picked one that she thought looked particularly awesome that had an engraving in the wood that depicted a buck. Evie chose one that was relatively simple but had dark staining on the wood. Mal selected a shotgun that had silver metal rather than the typical black metal. Jane approached and hesitantly chose a gun with gold plated on parts of it.

There was soon only one gun left on the ground for Audrey, and the princess was not about to pick it up and use it. Uma reached down and took the gun, offering it to Audrey. Audrey hesitantly took it, but only because Uma was practically shoving it at her.

George took a moment to explain to them how to hold the gun properly and how to reload it appropriately. After that, he soon found a seat so that he could sit nearby and observe them while they practiced using them.

They all started to load their guns, and it was no surprise when Uma suddenly let loose with a gunshot, blasting away as she fired at the targets that George had set up before he went to get the guns earlier. The other girls jumped a little, surprised at the sudden loud noise. Uma grinned widely, nodding her head appreciatively as she looked down at the weapon in her hands.

"Wow, that's really loud," Jane commented, and Uma just chuckled under her breath.

"Oh, yeah," Uma muttered, pleased as could be. Mal looked down at her own and wasted no time in loading it as George had demonstrated. Evie furrowed her brow, looking terribly concerned as she gazed at her best friend.

"Are you sure you can do this?"

"E, of course I can," Mal told her, somewhat aggravated at the fact that Evie was questioning it so strongly. Evie just sighed deeply, resigning herself to simply watch carefully as Mal readied the gun.

Mal placed the gun against her shoulder, trying to ensure that it was well-balanced so she could shoot at the targets. She could feel Evie staring, and she was ready to prove to her older sister that she could shoot a gun without it hurting her.