Carnival

"Mama, can we please leave? It's hot and some of these people are musty out here" I groaned

My mom had dragged me to a work barbecue thing- as in a barbecue filled with with the people she worked with and (often) complained about. My brother and dad played sick when she asked them to come so it was just me and her.

"There's Miss Barbara, my boss" She whispered to me, nodding her head in the direction of this stumpy and mean looking woman.

"Ohhh, is she the one who's breath smells like 7 consecutive years of missed dentist appointments?" I asked, quite loudly.

My mother smacked my arm and pulled me towards the little group of her colleagues.

"Hi guys" She smiled

"Claire! You're here, and I see you brought your little mini Claire!" This over enthusiastic man said with a toothy smile

I gave him the best fake smile I could pull off and waved.

"Hey, I brought my son! Maybe they should meet. Maybe we can set them up"

I wanted to scream "NO" so badly but I knew I couldn't.

My mom nodded and the man walked away, probably going to go grab his son.

"Ma! I am not no 3 year old looking for a play date! I am 19, in college, and GROWN, and I certainly don't need to be introduced to no random boy" I ranted lowly

"Girl hush" She said warningly. I shut my mouth and secretly rolled my eyes.

A few minutes later, the man came back with a boy trailing him.

Once I could get a good look, I noticed his piercing blue eyes and dirty blond hair (that was a mess).

He had small studs in his ears and a growing beard and mustache that sat on his face. His skin was pale and clear, and I noticed a small tattoo on his wrist.

Not gonna lie, he was extremely attractive.

"Girls, meet Ashton." My mother's college said

My mom shakes his hand while I was stuck staring at the boy. His blue eyes never left my brown counterparts.

"Deja, don't be rude" My mother mumbled to me. I snapped out of my trance and shook Ashton's hand. He wore this smirk on his face that was honestly making my knees go weak.

"Why don't you two go get some food?" I heard my mother suggest.

She had a sly grin, probably noticing my stares at the dude who stood in front of me.

Ashton agreed and grabbed my hand, leading me over to the secluded benches instead of the food.

We didn't talk once we sat, just stared awkwardly at each other.

"Sooooo" I began after a while, "How old are you?" I asked

"20" He answered. His voice was so deep yet so smooth.

"College?"

"Yeah, you?" He asked in that same sexy tone of voice

"Same" I smiled

His voice stuck in my mind, it was so attractive.

"Your voice is really deep" I nearly face-palmed myself for speaking my thoughts out loud.

He didn't seem too creeped out, as he chuckled and bit his lip.

Lord, help me.