Chapter Five

I

The entire Purcell family, including Eleanor, was seated in the sitting room, having been called there by Aunt Louise. The sky was darkening outside and cast a shadowy gloom into the room, despite the abundance of candles and lamps glowing everywhere. Her aunt looked nervous as she clutched her husband's hand. 

'Children, your father and I are getting older. As we married so young, we didn't get to travel the world like we'd always wanted to. And now that we're financially able, and are without too many societal responsibilities...' She looked at the floor and sniffled into her handkerchief.

Lord Purcell finished her speech. 'We're going to travel around the world for six months.'

Marianne and Michael shot out of their seats. 

'What? Really? This is amazing!' Marianne squealed, clapping her hands and bouncing up and down. Her father didn't reciprocate her joy.

'Ah darlings, as much as we'd love you to come, we thought it would be a good opportunity for you eldest children to really grow into adults, be able to mature without your parents lingering over you.' He rested his hands on the little heads of Georgiana and Neil, who were engaged in their own gibberish conversation on the floor. 'Only Georgie and Neil will come with us.'

At the exact same time that Marianne's face turned into a miserable frown, Michael's brightened up like a Chesire cat.

'Father, mother, this is just wonderful!' He exclaimed. 

Marianne still hadn't responded, so Eleanor filled the silence. 'How marvellous! I can assure you we will be on our best behaviour.'

Lord Purcell smiled at her.

'We'll be expecting a reply to every letter we write, and Michael...' 

He gave his son a pointed glare, laden with a warning Eleanor didn't understand. It reminded her of how her uncle-in-law was known about town for his fierce temperament. Even chirpy Michael cowered under his gaze. Lord Purcell finished his sentence, quiet and threatening. 'I don't want to hear about any more mischief.'

'Of course not, father,' Michael replied.

Marianne seemed to have swallowed her disappointment at last. Whilst she distracted her parent's attention with her endless questions about their upcoming trip, Eleanor noticed Michael's hand slip down to his trouser pocket, which was filled by a conspicuous square shape. She needn't wander long to realise what it was.

II

Later that evening, Eleanor fretted about trying to pin her curls in place for her grand evening with James.

'I still don't think its a good idea.'

'I've already agreed, Marianne.'

'You could pretend you've fallen ill when he arrives! Or... you could say you've suddenly become engaged.'

Eleanor sighed and turned away from the mirror. She knew Marianne was trying to look out for her, but she was just about fed up with her nagging. 'It's just an evening at the Opera. He's not asking for my hand or anything of the sort.'

Marianne looked angry. 'But if he is taking you out in society then he must be considering it! People will talk! And you'd do well to remember that it is not just your reputation at stake here. If mother and father were to catch wind of this-'

'Ah, but mother and father aren't here, are they?' Michael chimed as he appeared in the doorway of the bedroom, sloshing a glass of whisky around in one hand. 'You look wonderful, cousin.'

'Thank you Michael.' She was glad that the long hours of preparation had paid off. Her midnight blue dress shimmered in the light of the chandelier, and she wore her finest jewels around her neck.

Eleanor fixed Marianne with a steely gaze. 'For your information, James called on your father and got his permission.'

Michael shot Eleanor a surprised glance. 'James? When did Little Miss Country Girl get so close to the Sterling brothers?'

Eleanor calmly continued getting ready, but it felt like a storm was swirling around her stomach. Michael's flippant comment had confirmed her suspicions of the relation between James and Rafe. The thought was highly unappealing. Was James really as good as he seemed, or was he just like his brother?

'James and I found some common interests in reading and stargazing. He's asked me to the Opera.'

Michael grinned mischievously. 'Has he now?'

Marianne suddenly jumped up. 'Don't go encouraging her Michael! You more than anyone knows what trouble-' She caught Eleanor's eye in the mirror and stopped abruptly. 'Well, since you clearly think you're better than to heed my warnings, go and enjoy your fancy date. Don't blame me when trouble comes calling.' She pushed past her brother and left.

Michael rolled his eyes exaggeratedly. 'Women.' He turned to leave, but turned when Eleanor called his name.

'This shady business the Sterlings are involved in - does it have anything to do with that little box in your pocket?'

Her cousin leaned against the door in his usual cocky way, but he seemed to have grown a shade paler. 'Careful, now. If you reach into a lion's cage you'll get your fingers bitten. All in good time.' He placed his glass of whisky on the mantelpiece. 'I'd drink up, if I were you. It'll take the edge off your nerves.' He too left.

In her worried state, Eleanor reached out and downed the glass.

III

'If I weren't convinced you were a goddess already, your astounding looks tonight certainly confirms it.'

The way James Sterling smiled and spoke to her made her cheeks flame, despite the cool night air. She thought he too looked ravishing, with his suave velvet jacket and bow tie. She didn't voice her thoughts of course; instead she said, 'Mister Sterling, your flattery never ceases to amaze me.'

His warm hand was on the small of her back as he guided her in the direction of the awaiting carriage. His head dipped next to her ear in order to reply lowly. 'It's James to you, please. And I profess I am merely speaking the truth of how you appear to me.'

Eleanor felt on top of the world as he steered her down the busy street. It was completely lined with carriages waiting to take people to their evening entertainment. The pair finally stopped in front of one, where the coachman hopped down to open the door for them.

'Here we are... Ah, you've met my brother, Rafe, haven't you?'

Maybe the gods were real and they were using her like a puppet to make them laugh, because no more than that moment did Eleanor feel that her luck was rotten. It hadn't even crossed her mind that both brothers would be attending the Opera.

She sat down and looked forward at the man who faced her, whose shadowed, brooding face revealed that he was eager for her company no more than she was his.