Chapter Four

I

Having arrived back at Birch Street at dawn, Eleanor slept through till mid-morning on Friday, ignoring the knocks of the maids asking if she wanted breakfast. When she finally did awaken, disturbed by a bright ray of light protruding from a gap in her curtains, she groaned and massaged her temples. She had a terrible headache. Her hair had fallen from its bun and become knotted and ratty. 

While she would have loved to wear a simple prairie smock and take a long refreshing walk like she often did in the country, Eleanor called for the maid to bring some warm water and picked out a pretty blue dress to wear about the town. She was still slightly scared of Aunt Louise, and didn't want to provoke her wrath by not looking respectable.

As she got ready, the foggy events of the previous night came back to her. Even in the fresh light of day, the rowdy, secretive debauchery of the society dinner wrapped around her like a dark cloak. 

The Society of Classical Antiquity.

She was reminded of Rafe Sterling's threat. Whether he actually held the power to expel her, she didn't know, but she sought to revise her knowledge of Ancient Greek culture and mythology anyway. But there was a more concerning question burning inside her; what did that wretched man have against her in the first place? Mindful of Marianne's low opinions of the Sterlings, Eleanor resolved not to tell her cousin. She didn't want to cause drama in her first appearance in Bath.

Reluctant to dwell on such things, Eleanor went to Marianne's bedroom, and found her pacing up and down by the window, intently reading a letter with so much focus that she didn't hear her approach. 

'Marianne?'

Her cousin gasped and threw her hand up to her heart. 'By God, Elle, you gave me the fright of my life!'

Eleanor smiled. 'Sorry. It must be a remarkable letter for you to be so absorbed.'

Marianne blushed and looked down at the crumpled paper in her hand. 'Yes, it is...it's from Tom Walton, actually.'

'Really? Is he planning to...' Eleanor trailed off, unsure if Marianne and Tom's relationship had progressed that far yet. Marianne sensed her thoughts anyway.

'Propose? That is exactly what he is planning.'

The pair shared a collective gasp of joy and laughter, and went to perch on the side of the bed together. 

'Does your mother know?'

'Yes, she's thrilled.' She looked at Eleanor with a smile that didn't quite reach her eyes. 'As am I...' 

Eleanor sensed her sadness and patted her arm affectionately. She thought it extremely unfair that Marianne had to marry so early, especially when she wasn't quite certain of her feelings for Tom Walton. However she didn't want to rub salt in the wound by letting her cousin wallow in her anxiety.

'Why don't we go downstairs for some tea and crumpets?'

Marianne's perfect features brightened and relaxed slightly. 'Yes, lets.'

II

The town library was sensational. It was a large hall of dark Gothic wood, with stained-glass windows casting the numberless bookshelves in an ethereal glow. Eleanor was tucked away in the dingy Classics section, poring over a battered copy of The Odyssey, which she had not read for a good five years.