Chapter Two

I

Eleanor sat in her neat, stately bedroom in her lavish new home, in awe of its beauty; silk throws, baroque lampshades, sculptures and paintings displayed on each surface and shelf, a dressing table with an oval mirror, a large bay window through which she could watch city-goers rushing about their day.

She was glad she'd worn one of her finest dresses to meet her family. The second she'd stepped out the carriage, Aunt Louise had swept her through the front door and into the front room to greet her cousins.

As she'd imagined, they were charming and fashionable, and regarded her with a playful curiosity.  Michael, soon-to-be twenty-two and therefore one of the most eligible bachelors of the Bath season, had greeted her warmly and promised to take her around the best sights in Bath. He wasn't much taller than her, but had a mischievous smile and blunt sense of humour which quickly warmed the party. Marianne, also seventeen, tucked her arm through Eleanor's and proclaimed they would surely become great friends. With her brunette locks and dewy complexion, she reminded Eleanor of an artist's muse, perfect and dainty. The young Georgiana, and the five-year-old Neil, were less interested in welcoming the newcomer in their home. 

She hadn't yet met her uncle, Lord Purcell, though she suspected it would occur later. She was given a cup of tea and whisked up to bed, on account that she'd had a long day of travelling, but Eleanor felt like she could gaze at her new surroundings for hours. Laying in her soft sheets, she clutched the pendant around her neck and marvelled at the beginning of her new urban life.

II

The next day, in the lofty breakfast room, Marianne sat down next to her, her pristine brown curls bouncing up and down. 'Eleanor, I've decided - Elle, may I call you Elle?' She licked a blob of jam off her thumb and didn't wait for an answer. 'We have masses to do today. There is tea with the ladies at three in the afternoon, and I must also walk you through the park and visit the tailors...' She trailed off, glancing at Eleanor. 'Did you sleep comfortably? You look slightly off-colour.'

Eleanor forced herself to smile. Her cousin was being so kind and welcoming, the least she could do was be gracious. 'I'm merely a bit tired. It is nothing to worry about.'

Marianne regarded her closely. 'If you say so.' 

III

Eleanor actually enjoyed her lunch with the ladies of society. Marianne's friends had taken her in, fussed over her dress and dark blonde curls, and made her feel like she belonged. Afterwards, Marianne took her for a walk in the park. They strolled along the grass in the late afternoon sun, gossiping about who was genuine and who was catty. At one point they turned onto a path that wound along a little pond, where two hatted gentlemen were walking down the path towards them. 

Marianne began to fidget with her gloves and look down at the ground, then out at the pond, then at the ground again. The gentlemen approached. One of them regarded Marianne intensely. 

'Miss Purcell, what a pleasure it is to see you again so soon.' He was tall and fair, with a pleasant face and a cheerful smile. 

'Likewise, Mr Walton.' A dark red tinge was creeping up Marianne's cheeks.

The other man remained at a distance, a brooding figure with dark, wavy hair and an angular chin. In contrast to the smiling Mr Walton, this man's demeanour was like a cloud threatening rain in the middle of the sunlit park. He came up beside his friend and dipped his head towards the two women. Eleanor did not mean to catch his gaze but his eyes happened to linger upon her, stoic and searching.

'Miss Purcell.' His voice was deep. Marianne hesitated before returning the greeting. 'Mister Sterling.'

There was a pause. An unspoken tension seemed to emanate from the trio, which confused Eleanor to no end. She looked at Marianne. Her cousin seemed to remember herself and reached for her arm. 'Gentlemen, I must introduce you to my dear cousin, Miss Godfrey. She is staying with us on Birch street.'