Chapter Six

I

The entire scene was overwhelming. The theatre was filled to the brim with loud, cheery gentleman and their wives, leaning over in their plush red velvet seats to catch up with their friends. The theatre itself was a work of art; every surface shone with gold ornamental gilding and rose quartz. Above the ground seats, the most impressive snow-white crystal chandelier that Eleanor had ever seen littered dazzling light in every direction. The stage was hidden behind a colossal crimson curtain.

James seemed perfectly content gazing out at the busy scene to her left; various men had already approached him to provide greetings and hushed words on business matters. On her right sat a remarkably stoic Rafe. He'd barely moved an inch since they'd sat down, only giving a slight nod to the gentlemen who acknowledged him and his brother. On the other side of Rafe sat his female accompaniment for the evening, a pretty girl called Miss Annabelle Shepperton who'd unknowingly relieved the group of a painfully awkward carriage ride with her bubbly conversation. Having been brought up in Bath, Annabelle seemed perfectly comfortable with her surroundings, happily fanning away at her face while speaking to the lady on her right. Other than the brooding handsomeness of Rafe's appearance, Eleanor couldn't imagine what a girl like Annabelle found attractive in his quiet, unsettling ways. Perhaps she fancied his wealth, not him.

The Opera also flew over Eleanor's head in an overwhelming blur; she just about kept up with the performance, joining in the oohs and ahhs of the audience, while the singing itself made her giddy. 

During the interval, while Annabelle was introducing Eleanor to a couple of her friends, she'd seen James slip through a door and return a considerable while later, with an eerie change to his character. He still looked charming, but there was a distant glaze in his eyes, and he brought up strange topics of conversation that left the group in confused silence. Rafe stood to the side talking animatedly with a couple of gentlemen, though he cast several unamused glances towards his brother. 

James still seemed out of sorts as they exited the theatre into the chill night air. He took Eleanor's arm as they turned off the busy street and onto a quiet path where the carriage was waiting.

'Miss Godfrey, I wanted to have a word with you about your father's marvellous tobacco business.' He caught her shocked glance and chuckled. 'Your surprise amuses me. It doesn't take a fool to recognise the connection in your names.'

Eleanor was indeed startled. She would have liked to keep her fortune in the shadows a bit longer, and wasn't ready to talk about it. 'I am surprised because it seems a strange topic to impose on a lady at such a time. Is the matter so important that it must interrupt our pleasant evening?' 

But James barely acknowledged her reply. His face remained calm but his voice took on a manner of urgency. 'Anyhow, I'm sure you are quite anxious about the prospects of having to run such a complex trade business. But I am pleased to offer you a solution. I happen to know an excellent chap who would take care of it all for you. All you'd have to do is sell the company to him. It would be greatly relieving for you.' He wouldn't quite meet her eye. 

'Sell it?' Eleanor felt angry. Who did he think he was to advise her such a thing? 'My father was a hard-hearted man, but I knew enough of his desires to know that he'd be extremely cross with me if I sold off my newly-inherited fortune. And I profess, James, that I am curious as to why you care so much about my business affairs.'

James exhaled loudly and, to add to Eleanor's surprise, scowled fiercely at her. 'Laurence Godfrey is six feet under, woman. I'm afraid there are complexities in this situation that are beyond your understanding...'