Chapter 33: Kangmi

Zach sighed as he picked up his drunk friend from the bar for the fifth time that week. He saluted the bartender, who he had become accustomed to seeing, and left the bar with his drunk friend. They arrived back at the apartment and Zach helped Josh get ready for bed. Of course, this meant that Zach had to hear his best friend mumble and speak gibberish.

"I was there for her in her darkest times, but I wonder, where she is now? now that I'm at my worst, down on my knees and she said she had my back, So I wonder, where she is now?", Josh whispered as tears came out of his eyes. Zach froze for a moment and listened to his best friend's rant with pity.

Josh looked at Zach with pain in his eye. "I love her you know, she will forever be first and last love". Zach stared at him confused as he tried to figure out who Josh was talking about. However, Josh fell asleep before Zach could ask him.

After making sure that Josh wouldn't do something harmful, Zach went to his own room, trying to make sense in his head. He remembered when Josh used to talk about his first love back in Chicago, but the Korean never told him the name of the girl. Not to mention that Josh broke off his own engagement because he couldn't stop thinking of this girl, and was the reason they had gone to Korea while using the excuse of wanting to meet David. Although, they actually wanted to meet David, not the point though.

Zach stared at the wall for a few minutes before realizing something, "the girl is Kangmi". It all made sense, the description that Josh always gave him was literally Kangmi. He would always talk about her with love in his eyes and would always smile at the mention of her name. However, now that she was getting married her best friend was broken-hearted. Although, why..? why would Josh reject her if he loved her? something was off in this love story and he would figure it out even if meant forcing it on Josh in one of his drunk episodes.

Kangmi sat on the floor with her back against her bed. She stared at the bracelet in her hand and smiled to herself. It was a black leather bracelet with the cancer constellation in the middle and a moon charm dangling from it, the one Josh had gifted her on her fifteenth birthday. She smiled as he remembered the memory.

flashback

18-year-old Josh sneaked up behind 15-year-old Kangmi and covered her eyes. "who am I?"

"hmm, I don't know, Tom Hiddleston?"

Josh laughed. "nope it's Josh", he said and uncovered her eyes. It took her a minute to come back to her sense but smiled at him when she did. "what are you doing outside? Are you not enjoying your party?"

"I am but I needed some fresh air, what about you? not enjoying your party?"

"touche my friend, but I actually came to give you your gift", he said and pulled out a black squared box. He gave it to Kangmi, who after some arguing accepted it.

Kangmi opened it and found a beautiful bracelet inside. She gasped at how beautiful it was and looked at Josh with a big smile, "it's beautiful"

"and look I have the same one", Josh said and showed her his right hand which indeed had the same bracelet. Kangmi smiled excitedly and with the help of Josh put it on her left hand.

"thank you", she said as she hugged him and buried her head in his chest.

end of the flashback.

There birthdays, they wouldn't be able to celebrate their birthdays together anymore. More like she wouldn't be able to celebrate her own birthday anymore because it would only remind her of him. And that's on having the same birthday. Crazy, isn't it? baby kangmi was born not knowing that three years prior a beautiful woman gave birth to baby Josh.