(1) Fine, just kill me already.

Adelaide's POV

"You're letting me go because you don't want to match my pay with Ed's?" I ask angrily.

"You'll still get a severance package." He states.

"Fuck you and your severance package," I say, standing up. "You know damn well that I've always been a better employee than Ed. It's fucking ridiculous that he was getting paid more when I do more work!"

"I'm sorry, but there's nothing I can do at this point." He says with a shrug.

"You're a shitty CEO and husband. I'm glad your wife found someone better instead of staying with your pathetic ass." I say, walking out of his office.

I take a deep breath and start packing up my belongings. My coworker, Lisa, pops in to give me a quick hug. "I'm sorry that pig wouldn't match your pay. I'm really going to miss having a clever partner." She says.

"It's fine. He doesn't deserve me as an employee." I say, awkwardly tapping her back.

"This isn't the end for us. Just because I won't see you daily doesn't mean our friendship will end. You're my best drinking buddy." She says with a wink.

I force a laugh and say, "That's because I'm always in charge of taking your drunk ass home."

She laughs and says, "Anyways, I have to go on a date, but let me know when you want to go to the bar."

I give her a quick wave and drop my smile when she's out of sight. Grabbing the rest of my stuff, I take the elevator to the parking garage.

I shove everything in my car's trunk and drive out of the lot. When I reached my apartment, I saw someone parked in my parking spot. Fucking great!

I sigh with annoyance and park in the closest open space. Of course, it had to be a block away, but I focused on parallel parking to the curb. I've got skills bitch.

I get an odd gut feeling and glance around my surroundings. Nothing seems to be out of the ordinary, so I blame it on my hunger for dinner.

I step out of my vehicle and grab my belongings from my trunk. I'm about to step onto the sidewalk when I hear a car screech to a stop.

"Adelaide Bianco?" I hear someone ask.

Trying to remain calm, I make it appear like I'm distracted on my phone. I haven't moved apartments in a while, and I hope this situation doesn't force me to.

I continue walking towards my apartment when I hear someone approaching me. "Adelaide Bianco?" A guy questions.

I fake a puzzled expression and turn to face him. "Are you talking to me?" I ask, quickly studying his appearance.

He's tall with a muscular body, and I think I see a gun at the back of his waist. He's obviously rich with his Armani suit, but I'm unsure if he's part of a mafia or gang trying to rob me.

He's cute, but not really for me. No shit, he's blonde. What does that mean? By society's standards, I'm sure others find him attractive. He's not the hot, dark-haired love interest. Maybe I should take a break from reading.

"Are you Adelaide Bianco?" He repeats.

"No, you have the wrong person," I state, walking calmly away. I only have my dagger on me, but I wish I took my gun with me today.

"I'm pretty sure I have the right person. You look identical to the picture I have." He says, strolling towards me again.

"Wrong person." I spit out, not having time for this. I may not want to live, but dying is not on my agenda at this minute.