Chapter 9

The pack planned everything: where they'd go, how they'd get there, who would be in which form. They only forgot about time. And that's how they found themselves barely halfway there with no resources. And since they were in an empty forest, they couldn't just take a break. It wasn't a big problem for the wolves, though. They were born to survive in nature. But for Liam and Louis, who refused to turn into a wolf, it was a challenge. Zayn knew they didn't have enough energy but they had to keep moving. It was the fifth extra journey day, where all of them were dragging their feet, low complaining moans coming from the wolves. Louis being Louis spent his last bit of energy on telling stories to cheer them but their brains were too dizzy to absorb anything. Liam was the worst, naturally, since he didn't even have any of the strengths that helped the rest tolerate the situation. He was barely dragging his feet.

Zayn we have to stop.

We can't, Harry. The faster we get there, the sooner this will be over. Zayn answered, looking exhausted himself. 

But we need to rest. Harry insisted.

We'll rest when we get there.

Harry growled but kept walking. Once the alpha made a decision, it was final.

I can't believe I'm going to agree with Zayn but he's right, Harry. Louis said.

How?

We should get there as soon as possible. Liam and I survived on one granola bar a day for five days. He mentioned, glancing at Liam who was tiredly dragging himself between them.

You know you can just transform with us and hunt, right?

And what about Liam?

Harry wanted to answer but he knew Louis had a point. Even if he himself didn't have to starve, he'd rather stay with Liam. 

     They kept walking for hours and this time they could also hear Liam making tired almost wolf-like noises. This little gesture made a few of them smile, since Liam hasn't noticed how much he was becoming similar to them. But they wished he'd express more positive feelings this way, rather than exhaustion. His feet were refusing to work. Louis stopped to think of something, when he felt their alpha nuzzling his side. He understood what that meant and even though he didn't want Zayn to carry more weight he obeyed. 

"Come here, Li." he asked and picked him up. 

     Liam didn't care about what was on Louis' mind so he just let him do whatever he wanted. Louis barely got to put him on Zayn's back when all the wolves tensed. Zayn took a few steps back, since he had Liam with him now and also dragged Louis who was in danger in his human form too. Niall and Harry stood in front of them in case of an attack. They all froze and tensed their ears. They could hear several soft footsteps getting closer to them. 

     Seconds later there was another pack running toward them. Niall, Gigi, and Bella bared their teeth and were ready to attack. But Harry surprisingly starting wagging his tail instead. He left his position, confusing the others. 

Gem!

     He met them halfway and happily nuzzled  a silver wolf, slightly shorter than him. The stranger's pack greeted him too.

Let's go, the sooner we get home, the better. The other wolf said.

     Harry looked back to his pack and motioned for them to join. They all relaxed, glad that they didn't need to fight anyone, since none of them were ready at the moment. 

     The two packs headed home together. Fifteen minutes later they were there. The other pack's members, other than Gemma, left them, giving them privacy. Niall and Bella just plopped down on the floor and took a nap in their wolf forms. Harry and Gigi transformed, though. Louis held unconscious Liam up for a moment, so Zayn would be able to transform. Once he was in his human form he took Liam and headed to a guest room with Gigi. Louis just joined Harry on the couch and closed his eyes finally. 

     Soon, Harry and Gemma were the only ones awake. Gemma sat on the other side and looked at the wolves. Harry sat in silence for a few minutes but then sighed.

"I know what you're going to say. Why didn't I just drive us here?" he said quietly. 

"I'm not that stupid, Harry. If you took a car or any other transportation, you could easily be tracked down and even put my pack in danger. Same with hotels or other buildings. I know your friends are exhausted now but you did the right thing." 

"I'm glad you agree with me, Gem." 

"Well, that doesn't happen often, does it?" she smiled at him mockingly. 

"Did you have to ruin this? We were having a sibling moment, man!" he whined. 

     Gemma laughed silently then asked. 

"Tell me about that kid."

"Well, he's a full member of the pack now, I guess. He's not a wolf, so maybe not the pack exactly but he joined the family. He doesn't realize how excited we are about it. Zayn and Gigi totally treat him like their kid, Louis is attached to him like glue, Bella likes teasing him a lot but I know she'd kill someone for him, and Niall and I are the most normal ones around him, I think." Harry answered with a smile.

"You? Normal? Sure. I bet you've been the weirdest, Harry. Probably freaked him out before he actually got to know you." 

"Not this time. Niall did the honors." he shook his head slightly, still remembering it. 

"That first meeting thing?" Gemma recalled from their last conversation. 

"That first meeting thing." 

     Gemma laughed again, not surprised that Niall made things awkward the first time. 

"How is he dealing with the whole werewolf thing?" she asked then. 

"I think he's starting to love it. He plays with Louis all the time, asks us questions, seems really interested in our lives. He even got sad when he didn't turn into a wolf." Harry answered softly, remembering how Liam tried to turn into a wolf. 

"Yeah, that's a pity. Would be fun having a new wolf around." 

     Harry hummed in agreement, thinking how great that would be. 

Author's note: Yup, I'm alive! :)