His mouth opens slightly then shuts.

"Someone said I shouldn't go?" I question, genuinely surprised but hiding my hurt. "Was it Aurora? Nicodra?"

He swallows and glances to the side. "Nicodra said he hopes to see you there. He said his Luna does as well."

"And? That's it? They're just being nice, David!"

He shakes his head as anger flashes on his face—a quiet, deadly anger that reminds me of the mafia men from those long movies my father would watch when he had the night off every once in a blue moon. My mother would try to watch them with him, but she would get bored—not enough romance to keep her engaged.

"You're seeing things that aren't there," I tell him. "Nicodra has a mate. He has Aurora, and to suggest he wants other things is ridiculous."

"I don't have to suggest. I know. I know what kind of Alpha he is and what kind of man he is."

"I don't want to hear it. You're acting jealous for no reason. I'm coming with you."

David waits impatiently as I turn to my things and resume my decision-making for when Jeremy takes the silence as his cue to come back. He leaves the doorway and comes over to me. "You're going to tell me you sense nothing off about the way he talks to you," David says.

"Who cares what he hints at? It's not like he'd ever do anything. It's not like I'm special. The man probably talks to all women like that; just as you said, it's the kind of man he is."

He says very clearly, "I care, Brigette."

"You shouldn't. It doesn't bother me, and it doesn't matter."

"It does matter; it's not right, and I don't know what to do about it that wouldn't risk angering him and threatening our peace."

I take a breath and turn to him. "It really bothers you that much?"

He says nothing, but the yes is plastered on his face.

"I want to come. I know I probably can't convince you that what Nicodra does doesn't matter, but—but for four nights—you would rather be away from me?"

He sighs, his broad shoulders sinking. "No."

"I promise I'm fine. Please just try to let what he says go. He has a mate, and he knows very well that I have one. He wouldn't push either of us too far, risking his image. Besides, I'm sure we can try to avoid him."

David nods, settling, for now.

When I reach the building, I know I've found her. The night can only cover my absence for so long until David wakes as he did the night I tried to escape him.

There are no crickets singing down below or owls hooting up above. There is no breeze rustling the forest brush or lush, summer trees. With every step I take, I hear the ground slosh beneath my shoes as if it had rained for days and the dirt soaked every drop up like a sponge. There are no guards patrolling or rogues lurking. There isn't even the light of the moon shining in the sky.

The single door to the cement building is unlocked, and I push it open. I enter. The echo of my steps sends chills up my spine, and the door falls closed behind me. At the end of a room is a cell with long, metal bars connecting the floor to the ceiling. Her wolf stands inside like it has been taxidermied—preserved. That's is, until it senses me.

She shifts and is suddenly a woman I have never seen before, or maybe she is a bizarre blend of every woman I had ever seen. Either way, she slips through the bars of her cell and smiles at me. "You didn't want to be one of us. You wanted to be one of them," she says, her voice unreal in its clarity.

I can't move. I'm not even sure if I'm really here.

"Is it our soulmates? Our Alphas and Lunas?" Her smile widens. "Or is it the way I tore him apart?"

She draws closer, hovering like a ghost. "You want to be torn apart, don't you?"

I turn swiftly and run for the exit. I grab the knob of the door and turn and pull with all my might. My breathing grows hysteric along with my movements. I look back to see how close she's gotten, but the woman is no longer there. David stands a couple steps away and stares at me with a hard, unwavering gaze. "David?" I call, desperate.

He shakes his head like I've seen him do before. He takes heavy steps until he's charging at me, shifting and pouncing with teeth thrashing at my face.

I jolt and crash from above back into the world I know, back into the bed where I faintly remember falling asleep. My neck is hot and my skin is clammy. I immediately push up and kick the blankets off of me, causing David to wake beside me. I swipe the hairs from my face, taking the time to breathe now that there is a cool air calming me. I peer across David to find the window beside him partially open. The night creeps in and swirls around the room, causing the fabric of the canopy to sway. David—now with nothing to hold—sleepily asks, "Are you alright?"

"Yeah," I whisper. "Go back to bed. I just need a minute."

He shifts again. "What's wrong? Talk to me."

"It's nothing, really. Just a bad dream. I'll forget it soon."

He lifts the covers for me to come back under and return to his arms. I give in, truly wanting him to look after me.

"I was having a dream," David says as his arm comes around me, resting under my chest. My own arm alines with his, and my hand holds on to his hand. "You were there. You were the only one there. It was morning—early—and the sun was just beginning to rise in the distance behind you," he murmurs near my ear, distracting me from the memories of my nightmare.

"You were wearing a white dress, and you looked over at me. Your hair carried in the breeze, and you looked—you were angelic."

My lungs fail to breathe and the tightness grows.

David says, "Beautiful as you always are."

"Then what?" I ask, hushed.

"That's was all. I just watched as you sat in the meadow, and I hoped it wouldn't end. I hoped to stay there all night."