9. worry

hange's pov—•"it looks like everyone's safe

hange's pov—•
"it looks like everyone's safe.. but where's y/n?" i watched as the group of soldiers i was talking to fall silent. "where is f/n l/n..?" i was getting impatient. she couldn't be dead so where is she?

christa, or rather, historia, shifted her gaze back to ymir's unconscious body and answered, "we don't know, squad leader."

"how?" i demanded, "weren't you all with her the whole time?"

"we don't know what happened" connie muttered, "she just... fell" and he looked toward the pile of rubble that was utagard castle just a few hours ago.

that was enough. i ran over and started searching for the small soldier, tears nearly escaping my eye. i jerked my head up to the feeling of a hand on my shoulder.

"squad leader! calm down we can conduct a proper search tomorrow," my loyal assistant suggests.

"how can i wait?" goddamnit. it's embarrasing to be this flustered over a "random" soldier. although, she was not random at all.

i'm pretty sure she means more to me than just a soldier, or else why am i feeling this way over her? i'd sent many soldiers to their deaths before hers. so what was the difference? i sigh, "alright, thanks moblit."

✿ 【few hours later, still hange's pov】

i lay on my bed, in casual clothes, looking out the window at the dark sky, head still a mess. ahh y/n, all i want to do is be able to talk to you right now, without having to worry about your life being in danger. i should get some rest so i can search for my precious soldier tomorrow.

i hear a familiar knock on the door. oh it's levi. "come in shorty!" i tease.

"quit it. are you coming or not?

"huh?", i turn my head to see levi in full gear, "where at this hour?"

"to go rescue your lover, obviously. the small brat.  l/n."

"you mean right now? where going out right now? without erwin's permission?"

"so no?"

"no i'm coming, but-,"

"no 'but's, four eyes. are you really as desperate to rescue her as i thought? you seem rather calm."

this angered me. "of course i'm coming! stupid.."

we'd decided to split up, both for efficiency and because i had enough of that shorty bossing me around. not as desperate my ass, cant you see i'm as desperate as ever? now that i was alone, i let the tears come.

following the sadness came my determination. i suddenly felt the need to prove to levi that y/n was important to me, i needed to find her before him.

digging through the rubble, putting all of my energy into it, i still couldn't find her. maybe she'd moved herself to somewhere safer? use that brain of your zoë!

i sped off to the edge of the forest hoping i'd find the girl sitting perfectly unharmed by a tree or something. soon enough i got near enough to see a body. rapidly increasing my speed i got close and dismounted my horse. without even thinking i scooped the soldier's body into my arms.

"y/n..?"

indeed it was y/n. i fired a black signal that hopefully nobody but levi would see. i took a better look at her many scrapes. pressing my ear against her chest, i heard a heartbeat. i slide my head to rest on her cheek and it's warm. i hear breathing.

"y/n, i'm glad you're ok.." would it be ok? if i.. i close my eyes and lightly press my lips against hers. soft, but dehydrated. i dripped water slowly from my flask into her mouth and she swallowed it.

"hange! did you find her?"

"yeah.. she doesn't look too good but she's definitely alive. if i'd just rushed past i would've though she was dead," i commented. i looked up at levi, who was standing up, expecting him to looked relieved but he'd winced at the mention of 'dead'.

"anyways let bring her back."

"okay"

author's note:
i uh i idk
im gonna die writing is so hard for what