Chapter 12: Memories

3rd Person P.O.V.

2 weeks after Pink Diamond returned to Earth.

Steven and Pink are watching TV together. Greg is at the carwash doing his job. Of course, he doesn't really need to work at that place anymore but he enjoys it.

Steven had asked Batman to send in more of those tapes he has from his suit camera. After five days after he sent him the one about Riddler, an entire box of them was left on the welcome mat with a Batarang on top of it. This was like Christmas to him.

Watching Gotham Gazette is nothing compared to Batman's suit camera. They can see the action right away instead of watching reporters discuss about it for 15 minutes. There was a lot of them and they each were labeled specifically.

(Steven) "Enigma Data Handler 13," "Enigma Data Handler 17," "Bane," "Killer Croc." There's a lot of stuff here.

(Pink Diamond) Put some of them in.

Steven put the one that said "Enigma" on it.

(Steven) That name sounds familiar.

The TV played a video.

[TV] Enigma, where are you?

[TV] I'm right here. Well, figuratively speaking anyway. Disappointed I didn't choose to meet up in person?

[TV] What's this about? Sionis hire you to throw me off his trail?

[TV] Think of me as an information broker. I've got data handlers everywhere, feeding me all kinds of interesting stuff.

[TV] And you think this will destroy Gotham?

[TV] Oh, yes. You see, broken bones and bullet wounds will eventually heal. But incriminating photos? Videos? Emails? That kind of damage can never be repaired. Tomorrow morning, when I release everything I've got, this city's going to collapse. Resignations. Arrests. Deaths. It'll be chaos in the streets, Batman! And there's not a thing you can do to stop me!

They could see Batman's perspective (meaning the camera is in first person). He walked to the equipment but it suddenly had electricity running through it and it shocked him back.

[TV] I figured you'd try and get all caveman on my equipment. It's password protected, I'm afraid, with 10,000 volts of electricity. You've lost, Batman. Might as well head home and get some rest. With everyone's deepest, darkest secrets about to go on public display, I've got a feeling tomorrow's going to be a very busy day for you.

[TV] One way or another, I'm shutting you down.

They've noticed his voice sounded a little deeper than it was today. This tape was dated almost a decade ago. Steven just remembered that Bruce is 37 right now, and if this tape was ten years ago, he would be 27 at the time.

And the day was December 24th,  Christmas Eve. That was the night of Christmas Eve, and that was Bruce's second year as Batman. The tape ended.

(Steven) Wow, he's been Batman for almost 12 years.

(Pink Diamond) Put another tape in. I wanna see more!

Steven saw more tapes about Enigma.

(Steven) Oh, I think I know who that was. It was Riddler! You know, that guy who wears a green suit.

(Pink Diamond) I figured that was him because of the voice.

(Steven) And these tapes say data handlers on it. Those must've been the ones he said.