Chapter 2: Jeez I Was a Noob

I was about ten, I think, when my dad let me play WoW. Of course, my dad was all "For the Horde!" and showed me all the Horde characters I could make. I looked through all of them and thought to myself, "They're all so ugly..." and then I saw the Blood Elves. The "prettiest" Horde race. He seemed to know that I would pick one, and let me customize her. He made me a warlock.

I think back on that now with my expansive knowledge of the game and think, "Did he do that on purpose?" Warlocks take a good deal of skill to play "properly." I don't play one, I've tried. They are actually pretty complicated to get right. 

Anyway, my character's name was Loopyloopen. I had been obsessed with that name at the time. Now I just think of how weird a kid I must've been. She ran about and went through the beautiful starting zone of the Blood Elves...

and then I got to the Ghostlands. I was absolutely TERRIFIED of that place. It was dark and creepy and I did NOT quest there. The thing was though, to get my Voidwalker minion I had to go there to do a quest.

I finally managed to get myself to the building where I would have to kill something. I tried going in and then ended up panicking and begging my dad to do the quest for me. And, because my dad is awesome, he did it for me with mild complaining on the fact that I was a wuss. After he finished it for me, I quickly returned to Silvermoon City to turn in the quest, and got my Voidwalker.

I slowly, ever so freaking slowly, leveled. I do remember that I played before Looking For Group came out, so I had to ask in trade to join a group for anything. Of course, I never did. I only told other people who were looking for a group that I would go with them. It was fun, running that dungeon with random people. Sometimes I'd be bored and someone who I had run a dungeon with before would ask me if I wanted to go do Ragefire Chasm. There was a sense of community and friendship in that aspect.

Back then I still had my innocence intact. My imp's name was Karrot. Some guy I was in a group with said "Your pet's name is gay," and then laughed. The other guys in the group laughed too, so I just laughed along, having no idea what "gay" meant.

One of the other few things I remember is the fact that I wore my bunny ears everywhere. She still is wearing them. I had gotten them at the world event "Noble Garden" and had worn them ever since. It's not like I was ever offered an upgrade for them, I was level 19. You usually don't encounter helms until 30ish.

Speaking of Noble Garden, I recall during that time when I really wanted to get the achievements. Some guy was asking in Trade Chat if anyone would go to Un'Goro with him to do the achievement. You had to have two people so you could turn each other into rabbits with a wand, and then you had to lay an egg (sit still) in a certain place in Un'Goro.

Now, I'm level 19, as I said before. Un'Goro is a level 50 zone. Or maybe back then it was even level 60. We had to traverse a level 30, then 40, zone to get to Un'Goro. essentially, I corpse ran. Occasionally the guy I was with had to as well, considering he was only in the mid 30's I think. It was very amusing and extremely fun. It was even more amazing and fun when we finally got to our destination and actually got our achievements. Then someone from the opposite faction appeared, and they were quite high level. My group member cried out "Run!" So I ran behind a tree and hearthed. My group member escaped as well, and we thanked each other profusely.

I don't even remember what his name was. All I remember was that he was a Tauren. So if you're reading this, I do still remember you.

After a while I slowly tired of Loopyloopen. I came back to her some time ago, leveled her to 20 something, and now she stands there, dormant. Waiting for me with her imp named Karrot.

And with her bunny ears on.