Chapter 6: The Lore

Lore is essentially the story of something. I am someone who is always deeply affected by the story of something. Therefore, when I began reading the WoW books, I fell in love with the story, the characters, and the game.

 The first World of Warcraft book I read was "Malfurion," about the night elf arch druid Malfurion Stormrage. This is not the book you should read first if you are going to get into the WoW series. It takes place during Wrath of the Lich King, and therefore gives you hardly any background as to what happened before and who these people are. I still read it anyway.

Didn't understand any of it.

And became a bit... obses--- Determined! to read all the other books.

At first, I didn't read the ones entitled "Warcraft," as I thought it was talking about Warcraft I, II, and II, which were the strategy games, I think. I have really been meaning to play them, but I just haven't gotten around to it. I thought they would be different from the ones entitled "World of Warcraft." Anyway, I avoided those for a while until my dad explained it was still the same thing, and bought one of them for me. 

My favorite warcraft book now. 

It is the first in the Well of Eternity trilogy. After reading the trilogy, I began collecting all the other books about World of Warcraft.

I believe I now have all of them.

I've read all of them at least twice, and have organized them on my shelf, going in chronological order. Yes, I really am a nerd, aren't I?

My favorite character was Krasus. Or, Korialstrasz, the red dragon, consort to Queen Alexstrasza the Life Binder. Krasus to me seemed the most interesting character, and I just absolutely fell in love with his story.

- This next part contains spoilers of what happens in some the WoW books. Read on if you dare.

So, you can imagine what happened when I read "Twighlight of the Aspects." 

Oh, I should elaborate.

Essentially at the beginning of the book it tells you that Korialstrasz is dead. I read this and thought to myself, "He has cheated death, what, three times? He'll be back."

So I read the rest of the book. Alexstrasza is grief stricken, Thrall eventually swings around and shows her what happened to him.

After I read those two pages describing what happened to him, I read it again. And again. Then I sat there and shut my eyes. I chucked the book at the wall where it burst into flames and I fell onto my knees and cried out to the heavens.

That's what happened in my head, at least.

Instead, I clutched the book, and closed it for a moment as small tears left my eyes. I smothered my face in my pillow for a few minutes before rising and finished reading the book. At least he died heroically, saving all the dragons....

My second favorite character was Rhonin. He was killed off in Tides of War by containing a blast from a mana bomb and saving Jaina. Christie Golden, the author of both of those books, just killed off my two favorite characters, and Richard A Knaak's two main characters just like that.

Boom.

She's good.

There were jokes on the forums after the book was released about that. Someone said that they wouldn't be surprised if this appeared on the news later on:

"Famous writer Richard A Knaak dies of heart attack after seeing both of his Mary Sue characters being killed off by writer Christie Golden."

I didn't think they were Mary Sues. Maybe they were, and I'm just blind to that because I fell in love with the story. Meh.

Anyway, after reading all of the WoW books I suddenly seemed to know the story behind every dungeon, raid, and quest. It was awesome. It probably bugged my dad, though. Every time I watched him play, I would point things out. "That's ____ and he did ____ and that's why you have to ____" Hehe.

I can't wait until the new books come out. Even if I don't play WoW anymore, I still have to keep myself updated on the lore, at least to a degree. You can't understand half of the WoW lore without playing it, though. So I've probably missed some stuff.