Part 37

Ukai

"Thank you once again for everything you've done for us Maru," I bowed to the older male once again, smiling gratefully at him.

Maru, Kazane, and I were standing at the entrance of Maru's hideout, saying our goodbyes. Kazane and I had been here for 5 days now and I'm pretty sure both our families and the Hokage will want to know what happened to keep us away.

"Any time dear child, though... let's try not to make this a habit alright?" Maru grinned with a tilt of his head.

"I agree, no more death scares for at least the next year," Kazane nodded, smiling. 

"I promise," I nod, standing straight. 

"Take care sweet girl, it was a pleasure," Maru looked toward Kazane. 

"It was a pleasure to meet you too, Orochimaru," Kazane bobbed her head in a bow before looking up at me. 

"Now then, off home, the both of you, wouldn't want either of your families to worry about your... prolonged absence." Maru ushered us off, returning into his hideout.

"..."

"So... Shall we?" I asked, turning to Kazane.

She smiled lightly, looking up into my eyes with her own shining ones.

"Let's do this," She nodded and we both jumped into the air, flicking and moving between trees as we raced home. 

We obviously weren't getting there today, as the day was already half over and the trip was going to take us 10 - 12 hours, but the more ground we could cover today the better. 

"Hey Ukai, can I ask you something?" Kazane's voice called. 

"Sure," 

"I promise I won't tell anyone! It will stay just between us I~... AH? Wait really!?"  Kazane stopped moving, standing stationary in the tree she landed on and staring at me with shocked eyes.

"Uhh... yeah," I paused my own movements, turning to my partner. 

"Go ahead, ask me anything you'd like, but we'd better walk while we talk or we'll never get home," I say chuckling slightly as I jump down to the ground, looking around before beginning to walk. 

"Oh~ Ok!," Kazane joined me on the ground, as well as putting her guard up in case the enemy was nearby. 

 "So... what did you want to know?" 

"Oh, well, um, everything..." Kazane stammered, her voice becoming slightly higher. 

"Come again?" I looked over my shoulder at her.

"Everything... I don't know much about you, so I want to know everything, about your childhood, your likes, the things you want in life, you know, that sort of thing..." Kazane went on.

"Oh... well, I graduated the academy pretty early on, I was assigned to team 4 with two of my closest friends and became a Chuunin a year after that," I told my partner as we walked. 

"That's... impressive... like really impressive!" Kazane cheered. 

"I guess," 

"Ok and what about plans for the future? Like... a family, maybe?" 

"A what~ Hmm seriously?" I chuckled, closing my eyes and scratching the back of my neck. 

"Hahahahaha~ I mean~ I'm one of the most aggressive, impatient, unsociable, and unpleasant, people anyone could have the misfortune of meeting~ I can't imagine any woman in their right mind would want to marry let alone mother a family with me? Ahhahahahahaha~" My light chuckle turned into a full fit of laughter, and I moved my hand from my neck to my forehead, my whole body shaking.