Chapter Five

Virgil's POV

"Any ideas where you want to do your hero training at?" Roman asks me as we sit down. My plan is to go into search and rescue with Armin. My brother's powers and mine are the perfect fit. 

"I'll be doing mine at the SSRA," I respond. 

"The Supers Search and Rescue Association? Didn't you mention that's where your brother worked?" Logan asks. 

"Yeah. Ever since I saved someone for the first time I knew I wanted to keep doing it. Not as some flashy hero though. Not that there's anything wrong with that. It's just not for me," I say. I don't need to become a famous hero. 

"You've saved someone before?" Patton asks. 

"Yeah," I say. "When I was ten years old, Armin and I went for a walk around town to get away from our family. It was noon and there were many people walking up and down the busy street. All kinds of people. Cars drove by and life was going on around us. While walking we came upon the construction site of a new building with a large yellow crane. It was holding a large metal beam. For some reason we both loved construction sites. Mainly all the cool vehicles they used. Armin pointed it out to me,"  I tell all my friends.

"No one else was paying attention but we were and we saw it as it started to fall. Below it were some workers standing around eating and talking. Even at ten years old I instantly knew that if someone didn't do something then they would die. Then I realized that I was someone who could do something. So that's exactly what I did. Without really meaning to, my body just moved. I had already picked up tons of powers including Super Strength and Flight so I flew over to them quickly," I continue saying. 

"By the time anyone else had realized what was happening it was too late for them to get away. Some of them cried out in fear as they watched the beam get closer. Luckily I was able to catch the beam just a few feet over the workers' heads. Carefully, I sat the beam down and looked over to the workers. Everyone was so happy to be alive and seeing them happy made me happy," I go on.

"My brother ran over to me and was freaking out because of what I just did. The workers I had just saved offered me and Armin some food to thank me even after we told them they didn't have to. We ate and I listened to them talk even though I didn't understand most of it at the time. Then my mother came looking for us. They recognized her and realized who we were. They told us that we had to leave. I didn't mind though because I was still happy. It felt so good to help someone for the sake of helping them. Since that day Armin and I knew we wanted to continue helping people. Then again we've never been like the rest of our family," I finish saying. My friends stare at me a little surprised. 

"What?" I ask a little embarrassed with the staring. 

"Nothing kiddo. It's just that's the most we've heard you talk about your past," Patton tells me. I chuckle. 

"You had me worried there for a second. I thought I said something wrong," I mumble. 

"Not at all kiddo," he says smiling.

Soon enough everyone has had a chance to spar and our last class ends. 

"I'll see you guys tomorrow," I say as I start to head towards the front of the school. 

"Hold up Virge," Patton says. I stop and turn back towards my friends. 

"Do you want to come to this nearby coffee shop with us?" Logan asks. 

"Uhh. Sure," I say with a smile. 

"Are you coming?" I ask Roman shyly. His confession from earlier still is flustering me. The fact that I told him I feel the same even more so. It's true though. About two weeks ago I realized I had a crush on him. Of course I pushed it down because I never thought he'd feel the same. I still can't believe he's liked me since the end of last year. That was a physical attraction but even now he still likes me. Even after getting to know me a bit more.