Chapter One

Virgil's POV

"Virgil! Hurry up or you'll be late!" my brother Armin calls out. This is the first day of my third year at Supers High. 

"Coming!" I grab my backpack and use super speed to get to the kitchen. I don't see my brother so he must be in his room. I throw my lunch in my backpack. Since I don't want to be late I just grab an apple and super speed out of the apartment. 

"Hey! You know the rules! No super speed in the apartment!" our landlord shouts when I almost run into him. 

"Sorry Mr. Hightower but I'm gonna be late! See you after school!" I shout back before leaving the apartment building. It only takes me a couple minutes to reach school. My friend Charlie is waiting for me when I get there. 

"Sometimes it's like you're trying to piss off Ms. Cunningham," she says as we walk inside. 

"I'm not late yet," I respond. She scoffs and tells me to hurry up before I am late. We aren't in the same class so I tell her I'll see her later and race to my classroom just as the bell rings. I take a deep breath and open the door.

"Virgil Scott. You're late," my teacher says when I walk into the room. 

"By literally half a second," I mumble as I make my way to my seat. This woman seriously hates me. She's middle aged and her brown hair is pulled back into a bun. Her dress is a dull green color that stops just above her knees and her shoes are the same brown low heels she wears almost everyday. For the next hour I listen to her as she teaches us. Homeroom covers English. Right before the end of class she tells everyone to quiet down because she has an announcement to make. 

"Alright class I'm going to pair you up in groups of three and that will be your group for this year. You'll do training exercises together, projects together and eventually go on patrols together," she tells everyone. 

"Ms. Cunningham?" a girl's voice calls out.

When she gets permission to speak she points out that there are 22 students in our class. She asks if that means that there's one person who will be alone. Please be me. Please be me. Please! Be me. 

"There will be one group of four," Ms. Cunningham clarifies. 

"Damn it," I mumble. The kid sitting next to me laughs at that. 

"Virgil Scott! Why are you laughing?! I'm sure I said nothing humorous," my teacher calls out. 

"But I- My apologies," I say, trying not to glare at the kid who really laughed. 

"I was the one who laughed Ms. Cunningham," the kid says. Everyone looks at him with surprise. Probably because no one expected him to tell the truth if it meant I would get in trouble. I'm just as surprised because this kid is one of the most popular students. Him and two others rule this school. Roman Price, Logan Turner and Patton Salters. They all supposedly have amazing grades, strong powers, are charming and nice. All of them are in this class.

"Well don't do it again," she says. That's it? She would've thrown me in detention for a week if I had actually been the one to laugh. 

"Your groups are listed on the board outside. Make sure you look at them," she says as the bell rings. It's 2nd period now. History. I leave the classroom and decide to check the list before I head home since everyone else is blocking the board. I make it to my class and take my seat. 

As I'm waiting for the teacher to start the class I feel someone staring at me. I turn my head behind me and I see Roman Price. When I look at him he gives me a smile. A little confused, I turn back around. Weird. He could've been smiling at any... No. It was definitely at me. I'm in the front row and the teacher is walking around the class waiting for everyone to take their seats. Whatever.