Chapter Twenty-Eight

-Y/N's POV-

I need fresh air. Quietly, I turn and walk out of the craziness of the homestead. This could not be happening. This isn't happening. 

Stumbling through the dark of the night I reach for something to support me. Everything seems too loud. The frogs and cicadas' calls buzz through my ears as if they were amplified off of speakers. I finally find the wood support beams on the outdoor walls of the homestead. Leaning over on them, I stare at the grass. I feel I may faint.

Alby was going to banish him. Newt would be gone. Killed in the maze. 

"Y/N," Newt's voice breaks the loud screeching sound reaching my ears. I feel his arms under my arms to support me. "Just sit down, alright?" 

I let my legs crumple beneth me and slide back against the homestead. 

"Atta girl," Newt says as I sit down and he gently falls beside me. 

I cannot look at him. I can't see him and know I won't see him tomorrow. Instead, I look at the stars. So beautiful and clear for such a horrible night. It doesn't fit right. 

Grass brustles and I feel Newt's hand lightly slip over mine. I let him take it and immediately feel a tinge better once his hand is in mine. 

"I'm-," Newt's voice cracks and I can hear his fear through it, no matter hard he's trying to stay strong. "I'm sorry." 

I smile. And as I look to him, a soft tear runs down my cheek, "Don't be." 

He pulls me in closer and I rest my back against the side of his chest. This moment reminds me of what felt like so long ago. We were resting under the willow tree, the stars above us. And I had fallen asleep beside Newt. He had come to check on me when he had seen me walk into the deadheads. That had been our first meeting there. Back before Dominic came up into the box and before I became a runner. Althought that had been less than a month ago, it felt like another life. 

I remember feeling happy and at ease that night, so different than the feelings I felt suffocating me now. And instead of falling into a peaceful sleep, we lay there for hours. Letting the tears silently fall, not making a noise. Until our lips were wet with each others tears and our hands were sore from clasping together so tightly. How would I ever live without him?

-Time Skip-

Newt's gone. He disappeared behind the screech of the maze walls. I can hear his screams ringing out. No. NO! Come back. Come Back! I run forward and slam into the wall doors, as if that would bring them open again. My shoulder burns from the impact and I run backwards to get ready to try again. My head is spinning and Gally shouts something into my ear. 

I run for the wall again. Except this time, I fall through. The stone wall falls apart in front of me and I sprint into the maze, calling Newt's name. I run through the ivy corridors, but Newt is nowhere to be found. How could he have gotten so far already?

I turn a corner and slam into a person. But when I look up, it's Dominic.

"Newt's gone," he grins. "Dead, dead, dead."

I stumble backwards and cover my ears from his taunts. 

"He died screaming your name, Y/N..." Dominic's voice sneers as the world turns white.

I am suddenly falling, thudding through a white hole of stone walls and ivy. The sound of someone crying out in pain following me down.

-----

I gasp and jerk awake to the feeling of wood behind my back. It was a dream, only a dream. My hands are shaking and sweaty as I wipe them along my pants.