Chapter Twenty-One

-Y/N's POV-

"Y/N, wake up. You have to run the maze, remember?" a voice whispered from the dark.

My head was fuzzy with sleep as the voice broke through. For a second I felt like I was back in the box, waking up to a dreadful realization of memory loss. But my room's wood ceiling soon pieced into place and I saw the outline of a boy beside my bed.

"C'mon get up sleepy head," Newt said with a tired voice that highlighted his accent. Probably the best thing to wake up to. Newt was always an early riser so he usually woke me up every morning.

I reluctantly sat up in bed.

"Hurry up and get dressed, Minho is getting impatient. And you know what happens when Minho loses his temper," Newt smirked. I snorted and watched him leave the room. Minho hated being late to go into the maze. Everything was a schedule to him.

I changed into my usual running clothes: shorts, and a t-shirt. Pulling on my harness and shoes, I grabbed my two knives out from under the cot and slid them in the back of the harness. I headed to the door and a thought flashed in my mind as I reached for the handle. Last night Newt had told me to go to bed early and lock the door after he had finished the dish work. When I asked why he only said something about guys having inappropriate ideas. I thought of staying up anyways, but I was already tired from the longer run that morning.

Heading down the homestead I said a quick goodmorning to Alby and jogged over to Frypan's hut. The sky was still a dim morning gray, but the air was humid and smelt of rain. Frypan handed me my lunch sandwhich and an apple for today's meal.

"Good luck in the maze!" Frypan said as I threw him a thumbs up, jogging to the doors.

"It's about time," commented Minho when I stopped beside him. We were doing our morning stretches in front of the doors as always. Minho insisted we stretch before our runs so no one pulls a muscle.

"I'm barely late."

"Still late to me," Minho replied.

Dominic walked up behind me and spoke close to my ear, "Ready for the run?"

I stepped away from him feeling a little uncomfortable with the feeling of his hot breath on my ear. "Sure," I replied.

"Alright I hope you shanks know where you're mapping today, or else you're all dead," Minho joyfully called out. "See you this evening."

At that the group of runners dispersed and each pair went off to their assigned door. Dominic jogged to our door where Newt was waiting to say bye. He took my hand and squeezed it tightly.

"Stay safe. Remember to-"

"Yeah, yeah. Come back ten minutes before the doors close. I know," I interrupted Newt. "Stop worrying I'll be fine."

"Twenty, if you can," Newt corrected me.

"Okay, twenty. I've got to go now." Dominic was standing by the entrance waiting to go. I let go off Newt's hand and started to pull away towards the door.

"Wait, Y/N," Newt called back.

"Yes?"

Newt hesitated for a moment, "Nevermind, good luck."

"Tell me when I get back!" I shouted as I jogged over to Dominic and waved goodbye. Once he waved back I turned and stepped into the maze. The search has begun.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: This was short, but the next one is out! And it is very long wow, 2066 words.