Chapter Seventeen

-Newt's POV-

It's been a day since Dominic arrived in the maze. He seems to be getting along with everybody well, especially Y/N. But I can't help getting an odd feeling whenever I see him talking to her. Ever since he came up in the box something just felt off about him. Nobody has ever been so calm when they first arrive. I see him now. He's with Y/N again. She's laughing over something he must have said. I look away. It hurts knowing it used to be us laughing like that. But it makes me mad too. For some reason Alby has suddenly stopped caring about rule 4. I think Y/N trying to run into the maze has thrown him off. He's been acting disconnected lately. Even though I know it's better for her that the rule has loosened, I want it back now more than ever.

"Newt I need you to take Dominic to the gardens for his track-hoe assessment," Alby asked as he walked up.

I'd rather be anywhere else than around Dominic but I don't really have a choice when Alby asks me something. So instead I nod and head over to get the greenie. When I walk up Dominic seems to be telling some sort of a story, I almost stop when I see his hand on her shoulder. Something flares inside of me and I walk up to interrupt whatever he was saying.

"It's time for you to try for a track-hoe. Come on," I have to fight to keep the anger and jealousy from my voice.

Dominic obviously notices because he runs his hand down her shoulder and onto her back. I have to use all my self control not to stay calm.

"I said let's go," I repeat through gritted teeth.

Finally Dominic's hand falls to his side and he follows me to the gardens, my pace a little faster than usual. When we were a few feet from the gardens I stopped.

"Stay away from her."

"What?"

"Stay away from Y/N," I repeated.

"Why? She likes me," Dominic responded.

I felt my hands balling into fists as I turned around. "If you hurt her-"

"Hey, hey, calm down. I won't hurt your little crush," At that Dominic walked by me and into the gardens.

It was only his second day here and I wish he had never came.

Gardening was not Dominic's thing. He kept 'accidentaly' bumping over water buckets or mixing up the seed bags. He also didn't seem to have the patience to plant something correctly. I could tell Y/N was disappointed that this wasn't going to be his job, and I couldn't help feeling relieved. Today he would finish his job assessments and tomorrow the keepers and I would discuss which one he should get. But I couldn't forget the way Dominic looked at Y/N. And he obviously had no intention of staying away from her. So I thought maybe if I talked to Y/N she would understand that being around him was a bad idea. Dinner was just beginning and Dominic was still finishing his assessment for the slicers, so Y/N was alone as she walked to the tables.

"Hey, can I talk to you after dinner? At the tree?" I asked, running my fingers through my hair.

"Sure," she smiled. I hoped she would understand.

-Time Skip-

Dinner flashed by and soon I was walking to the willow tree. It's been awhile since we met up here. I missed when we used to do that. The sky was growing darker and I had to watch where I put my feet so I wouldn't trip. Y/N was waiting at the tree already. Seeing her I suddenly got nervous. What if she doesn't listen?

"Hey," she greets as I walk through the willow leaves.

"Hi."

"What is it you wanted to talk about? Dominic asked me to meet him by the gardens after this, I don't want to be late," Y/N said.

"You can't go."

"What?"

I took a deep breath, "I mean, you need to stop hanging around him. He's bad news."

"What are you talking about? Ever since Dominic's been here he's been nothing less than nice to me, and you want me to stand him up?"

"Y/N, I don't think he's who you think he is-"

"Stop. For once someone's talking to me, for once I have a friend, I'm not going to just break that. And break it for what? Because you have a 'bad feeling'?"

She wasn't going to listen. I get her view of what's happening, and that she finally feels she has a someone, but something just isn't right. As Y/N turns to leave I grab her hand. I'm starting to get desperate.

"Please don't go."

She pulls her hand out of my grip, "You can't stop me."

Just as she turned around to leave a loud rukus came up from the glade. It sounded like a bunch of boys yelling. To add to the clamour, the doors began closing, making the glade a loud chaos. Y/N and I ran out of the deadheads to see the gladers gathering around the eastern door. I jogged up beside everyone and called out.

"Whats wrong?"

"Nathan isn't back yet!" another glader called back.

Nathan. He was one of the two runners that entered and returned out of the eastern door every day. How can he be missing? Did he run into a griever? Or just not make it back in time? The doors rumbled that last bit shut causing the gladers to fall completely silent. He didn't make it. No one ever survives a night in the maze. My stomach drops. We haven't lost someone in awhile but it's still a familiar feeling. I remember when Nathan first came up in the box with his ginger hair and wide eyes. Just a boy. I walk over to Alby.

"What now?"

"We'll send out runners to look for him tomorrow as usual. And then we'll have to vote for a new one," Alby replies. He's looking at the ground and his voice cracks.

We both know the runners won't find anything. But we also know that life must continue, and that we don't have a back up runner at the moment. I nod and walk back to the homestead. My mind becomes muddled with grief and I sit on the ground behind the homestead. I just need to be alone. How many more of my friends will we have to lose before we find our way out of this bloody hell?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: Heyy. Done chapter seventeen.. Why do I feel like I always write everyone arguing.? Oh well. Things will get better between Y/N and Newt soon. Atleast I think they will. My everchanging plans for the story are different everyday so we'll see. Thanks for reading even though I feel like I don't put enough action in this story sometimes. Pretend it's a slowburn or something. -See you next chapter?