Chapter Twenty-Seven

-Y/N's POV-

He reacts before I can even blink, already walking away and swinging the door of the homestead open. He walks straight outside and disappears. Newt walks fast for having a limp, so I quickly go after him to catch up.

"Newt," I call trying to stop in front of him. "Don't be irrational, he'll get what he deserves from Alby later."

"Yeah well, he's going to get some of it from me now," Newt says as he pushes around me. His eyes seemed unfocused and unruly in a way I don't recognize. They're so different than their usual calm, thoughtful look.

"Wha-"

"Go to the medhut, okay?" Newt says quickly but meaningfully. I notice his fists are shut tightly, causing his knuckles to turn white from the force. He sees me looking at them and unclenches his fists as if he were ashamed.

"Clint, Jeff," Newt waves the medjacks over before I can react. "Take her to the medhut please. She needs a... check-up."

The medjacks nod and reach for my arms. "Uh, no. I'm fine," I protest, trying to follow Newt again.

"Come on, we're just following orders," grunted Clint as he tugged me along.

"Not in the mood to cross Newt's bad side right now, something's got him all riled up," Jeff glanced behind us at Newt walking quickly away.

"Yeah, no kidding," I mutter.

"Just make it quick guys," I say as I sit on the bed in the medhut when we arrive. I lean over to try and see outside the small window as they examine my cuts and bruises. I can't see anything from here, and hope no one is doing anything stupid. If Newt touches Dominic, he could be at risk of banishment as well. Breaking the rules is breaking the rules; and I don't know how far Alby would bend them for the sake of his second in command.

I flinch when something freezing presses against the warm bruise on my arm.

"Sorry," Jeff apologizes as he presses the wet fabric down. "Where did these all come from anyways?"

I shrugged, "Tripped in some bushes and rocks?"

"Why'd you say that as a question then?" Jeff raises an eyebrow.

"Don't worry I won't pry," he says when I don't answer. "My job is to heal. Unless you think there needs to be a glade therapist. I would definitely be up for that."

I laugh at the thought of Jeff listening to all the gladers problems. Laughing brings a brief moment of release I haven't felt for the last couple of days. Even if it lasted only seconds, I feel better.

When I finally thought the check-up was done, Clint decided to check my arm from when I broke it and how it healed. Then when that was finished, Jeff found a new scratch on my calf that needed to be treated. It was as if they were finding everything in their power to keep me for as long as possible.

"Look, guys. I really need to go. But thanks for all the help," I said before dodging out of the medhut.

The sun had moved remarkably lower and was about to set, showing the amount of time I had been with Clint and Jeff. Where was Newt now? And Dominic? I scan the glade, the evening light darkening my vision, and then guess where they must be. The Homestead. I wonder if I've missed any meeting they've already had.

When I jog up to the room and push by the grainy wood door, I realize my guess was correct. A bunch of keepers are sitting around the meeting room where Alby stands in the middle. My gaze immediately finds the person sitting behind Alby. Newt raises his head at the sound of the door opening and meets my eyes. There's something apologetic and guilty about the look in them. His hair is ruffled and has soil littered through it. I easily notice a new bleeding scratch under his eye and bruise on his cheek. I can guess what may have happened.

My curiousity overcomes me and I turn to take in Dominic who's sitting behind Alby on his other side. I naturally grimace when I see he's in much worse condition. Dominic's cheekbone is becoming purple and his nose runs red all over his clothing. Newt must have gotten quite a few hits in before someone stopped them. My stomach drops when I think through that thought. Newt had as well as broken the 'Never hurt a glader' rule as Dominic had. He broke it worse too. The bruises I had from Dominic seemed feeble in comparison to what he had just received.

"Y/N, hello," Alby says. "Please take a seat."

I walk forward and sit in the second row beside Zart. I'm surprised I walked there without fainting. The hole in my stomach felt heavy of emptiness from what I just realized. I couldn't meet Newt's eyes. I knew he was looking at me, but I also knew it wouldn't help to see the look on his face again.

Alby's voice drones in the background of my thoughts. No, he wouldn't banish Newt. He couldn't. What would he do without his second in command? I breathed deeply, clinging onto the last hope Alby wouldn't do it.

When I looked up, Alby was deep in conversation with Gally and Winston. They all looked distressed. Alby saw me watching him, and looked away. 

I leaned over to Zart who was seated beside me and whispered, "What's going on?" Even though I already knew.

"They're deciding if they should banish Newt," Zart answered solemnly. "Dominic's already a done deal since he doesn't have high authority like Newt."

I tapped my foot on the ground anxiously. For some reason the thought that Dominic was getting banished for sure, was of no comfort to the situation as I thought it would be. Alby, Gally and Winston seemed to talk forever although it must have only been minutes since I came in. The sky had darkened outside and night was taking over. I'm not sure how much longer I would be able to stay waiting. The air of the homestead tasted heavy with dread and dust. Finally, Alby's conversation stopped and he turned to face the crowd. Gally and Winston took their seats in the front. 

"As you all know, Dominic and Newt both broke the rules," Alby cleared his throat. He looked pained by the words. "I would ask for your input, Y/N. But we've decided it wouldn't help due to your biased view on Newt's behalf."

I nodded shakily and tried to beg Alby through my eyes. He didn't mean it. Newt had... he must have gotten out of control. Alby knows Newt would never do that. I believe this until I risk another look at Dominic. Newt had done it. And there's no going back.

"We have decided on what we believe is best for the glade to continue. As much as it pains me to do this, I have no other choice," Alby swallowed and looked back at Newt. They stared at each other for a moment and I swear I could see a lifetime worth of memories flash between them. Alby and Newt had known each other since the beginning of the glade. And no matter if they had drifted apart since I arrived, they had worked together to create this very place from scratch. 

Newt nodded, as if accepting his fate. I saw him bite the inside of his cheek anxiously as he looked to me. I ignored his nod and kept staring at Alby who was still looking to Newt. Surely, he would not banish his closest friend? 

Alby waited a couple moments, seeming to be deep in thought. Then he snapped out of it and looked to everyone waiting for his words. 

"Tomorrow afternoon, along with Dominic. Newt will be banished."

Alby quickly left, leaving the room (especially Minho) in an uproar, and me in ruins.