Chapter Thirteen

-Y/N's POV-

"Hey! Watch what your doing greenie. You just drowned my radishes in water," Jarvis the trackhoe's voice rang out.

"Sorry.." I mumbled. I looked down to see that I had indeed overflown the radish patch in water. My thoughts had been elsewhere and I hadn't noticed how long the water was pouring. I began to slosh out some of the water.

"Y/N? Can I talk to you?" Zart said from behind me. He must have seen my mishap since he looked disappointed. I stood up and walked over to him.

"Are you okay?" He asked.

I nodded as I wiped the sweat from my brow. The thing was, I wasn't 'okay'. The last few days have been nothing but miserable. As if a fog of depressing thoughts had settled on my mind and refused to clear up. All I wanted to do was run. Run away from here and Newt. From the repetitive days full of things that meant nothing.

"You haven't been gardening the same as when you started, do you need a break?" He said.

I tried to smile, "No, no. Zart it's fine-"

"Don't lie, I was at the keeper meeting. I know your heart is with another job. You can have the day off." Zart said, waving me away.

"Thanks," I muttered, dropping my small shovel and walking away.

I had no idea what to do. The relief from work was nice, but it's not like there was anything to do without it. I walked around the glade. Letting my legs draw me wherever they wanted to go. It wasn't a surprise when I found myself standing in front of one of the big rectangular openings into the maze. My legs itched to run. Itched to do something new and exhilerating. Like go into the maze. For a second I almost did, before I remembered what Thomas had said to me on my first day here. We were on the tour, he was explaining the maze. He described it in a way that made it sound terrible and suicidal to even go near it. I'm sure it must have been a bluff that they tell all of the greenies. Scare them off so they don't run into the maze. I remembered that if I left the glade I wouldn't be able to come back. That was one of their rules. Never Leave The Glade. I would surely be punished or worse, banished, if I left and then came back. But I wouldn't come back. If I escape the maze I'll surely have a happier and more interesting life wherever I escape to than here. And if I die, I die. I had reached the point where I didn't care anymore. I needed change. Gally would try to kill me or do worse if I stayed anyways. Nobody cared for me here. I had thought one person did. Or it had seemed so. I was trying to block thoughts of him from my mind. His scent. His hiccups that came after he laughed for too long. The blonde hair that fell into his eyes when he bent over in the gardens. What could I have done to make him hate me? It was all my fault. Tomorrow. I would go tomorrow. Into the maze. If anything I would be helping the gladers, one less mouth to feed. They wouldn't have to worry about whatever rule number four is anymore.

I began to plan my escape. I would go right before the doors closed so no one can follow me in. I'll bring a small packet of necessities to last me a day if I found the exit. I'd also bring a dagger just in case. I didn't think I needed much more than that. I would go through the west door so that I could hide in the deadheads before I ran in. I needed to know the exact time the doors closed, so I went looking for someone who could answer. I found Alby the quickest. He was walking away from the mealtables, probably after a late lunch.

"Alby? Can I ask you something?" I called out when I got closer to him.

Alby stopped and nodded.

"What time do the doors close?" I said, glancing at the western door.

"Usually 2-5 minutes after the sunset-" He said before being interrupted.

"Why do you want to know when the doors close?" Newt asked from behind me.

I turned around to see him standing with his arms crossed.

"Just curious," I replied.

We stood with our eyes locked for a minute. Newt looked at me as if he was trying to understand me. Figure out what I was planning. I couldn't look into his unsettlingly deep brown eyes anymore without changing my mind, so I turned and quickly walked to the homestead. I wanted to be with him. Talk to him like we had at the willow tree. But the voices in my head kept chanting. He doesn't like you. Remember he kept you from being a runner? The kiss was fake. Nobody cares if you're gone. If you die. I pushed my fingers to my temples when I walked as if trying to press the thoughts out of my head. Newt was still watching me, I could feel it. He watched me until I ran up the stairs of the homestead and hid in my room.

Using the small leather bag I had found in the homestead earlier on, I packed everything I had. Tonight I would find food and a dagger. Then I laid on my bed trying to wrap my head around my plans. Was I really going to go into the maze tomorrow?

I woke up to pitch darkness. I must've fallen asleep after I packed my bag. That means dinner was over and it looks like everyone should be asleep. Good timing to find some food and a dagger I guess. The glade was still and empty when I stepped outside. No one to be seen. First I crept over to Frypan's hut. I felt guilty taking his leftovers, but knew I wouldn't be here to get reprimanded about it after tomorrow. I wrapped them tightly in some fabric and tucked the food into my bag. Now where can I find a dagger. I headed into the homestead and rooted around for a bit, finding nothing at first. Then I found some stairs leading down to some sort of a storage basement. I squinted through the darkness and saw a blade flash in the dark. It was a dagger not much longer than my foot, but good enough. I slipped it into the side of my bag and made my way back upstairs and outside again. I felt content with what I had found so I started walking to the western door which was now closed. I was going to find a spot to hide in tomorrow and stow my bag there for when the time comes. I was doing it now to not look suspicious walking around the western door for too long tomorrow. Soon enough I found a thick bush on the edge of the deadheads that was close to the door. I placed the bag underneath the bush and speed-walked back to the homestead and my room. I was ready for tomorrow.

————————————————————