Chapter Ten

-Newt's POV-

"Why were you so late coming to bed last night shank?" Minho inquired as I sat down in front of him at the lunch table with my food.

"None of your business," I replied.

"We're just curious," Thomas stated, "You haven't been in your hammok the last few nights."

I thought about last night. Had I really kissed her? What if she didn't like me back? My eyes automatically swept the glade looking for y/n. She stood at the edge of the gardens, finishing her morning work. I realized before it was too late that Minho and Thomas had followed my gaze.

"The girl? You were with the girl last night?" Minho said a little too loudly.

"What? No!" I said turning back to Minho who was raising his eyebrows.

"Man, Albys gonna kill you if he finds out," Thomas whispered.

"Would you guys slim it? I wasn't with her last night," I lied, looking down at my food. Thomas and Minho stared at me and I could feel myself blushing.

"I see you blushing. It's okay, we won't tell anyone about your nightime rendezvous with the greenie," Minho smirked. I could tell he was trying not to laugh. Thomas snorted and tried to cover it up with a cough.

"Seriously guys?" I said. Thinking about last night also reminded me about the person we heard in the woods. Somebody had seen us.

"Was there anyone else who wasn't in their hammoks last night?" I asked them.

"Uh, no. I don't think so. Why?" Thomas replied.

"I think someone might've seen us."

"What was there to see, Newt? Don't tell me you and the greenbean-"

"Look, I'm just scared someone is going to tell Alby. Okay?" I said cutting Minho off before he could say anymore.

"I think it's too late," Thomas muttered, looking behind me.

"Newt, come with me please," Alby's voice boomed behind me.

Great. Looks like someone already told Alby. And the look on his face showed he was not happy about it. I glanced one last time at Thomas and Minho who gave me a look as if trying to say 'good luck'. I'm not sure if luck will help me with this one. I stood up from the table and followed Alby as he walked over to the homestead and inside. It was silent at first. But I could tell Alby was upset.

Alby cleared his throat, "Were you with Y/N last night?"

I stared at the ground my arms crossed.

"Newt, answer me," Alby walked closer, "Were you with the girl."

I looked Alby in the eyes, one of my closest friends. I hated disobeying him.  "Yes, I was with Y/N last night."

"Did you kiss her?"

"What?"

"I said did you kiss her?" Alby repeated more firmly this time.

"What does that have to do with anything?" I asked.

"It means you broke the new rule."

"It's not like I forced her-"

"I didn't expect this from you of all people Newt. You're supposed to set the example."

"So what are you going to do? Bloody banish me?"  

"No. You know I can't do that Newt." Alby replied.

I stood there waiting for a response. Theres not much worse he could do than banishment.

"I'm just going to make sure you don't disobey me again. I'm going to have people watching you now. You can't see Y/N anymore and we're going to make sure she can't see you," Alby finally said.

I ran a finger through my hair and put my head in my hands. "You can't do that, she doesn't know what's happening. She thinks everybody hates her! This rule is the opposite of good for her Alby."

"Do you see what has happened since she got here? You've never disobeyed one of my rules Newt, what happened? I thought I could trust you," Alby said before angrily walking out of the homestead.

He left me there alone, with so much I wanted to say but couldn't. I looked to the doorway and saw Gally standing there with a smirk on his face. Of course. Of course it was Gally. Why couldn't he keep his shuck mouth shut. And why was he watching us in the first place? I would've seen him leave the hammoks if he was following me there. Y/N. He must have been following her to the willow. A weight fell in my stomach. What did he want with her? Hadn't he done enough to her? I needed to warn Y/N. She couldn't go to the tree tonight when Gally would be following. But how would I tell her without speaking to her and getting the attention of the people Alby had asked to watch me?

-Y/N's POV-        
The day was finally drawing to a close. I couldn't wait for the sun to set and the doors to shut. Although I was a little worried at where Newt had been all day. I hadn't seen him since before lunch. He wasn't working in the gardens and he didn't even show for dinner. Atleast I knew I would get to see him tonight. I was plucking the last couple weeds from my garden area before the doors finally shut with a bang. I clapped the dirt off my hands and headed to the homestead to 'go to bed'. I felt giddy with excitement as I waited for the sound of everyone going to sleep outside and in the homestead. I wondered if Newt was already on his way to the willow. After waiting a few more minutes I slipped through the door and headed out and into the night. It was much cooler than last night and I shivered from the breeze. Excited to get to the willow tree I quickened my pace and walked through the deadheads. At one point I thought I heard footsteps behind me but I just brushed it off and continued. Eventually I reached the tree and stepped through the overhanging branches. Newt wasn't there. He must be on his way still. Walking over to the willow tree, something white in the crook of two branches caught my eye. I reached out and grabbed it. It was a piece of paper. A note. It read:

Dear Y/N,
We can't meet anymore, Alby found out. I'm sorry. Now go back. Back to the homestead. Please Y/N. I'm assuming if you're reading this you are at the willow tree. It's not safe there. Gally is following you. But go back through the deadheads on the western side. He won't be expecting that. Go quick. Be safe.  -Newt

My whole body tensed up at the words 'Gally is following you'  and my heartbeat quickened. Maybe the footsteps I had heard earlier weren't just my imagination... and there they were again. The footsteps. Newt was right, Gally is following me. I folded Newt's note and slipped it into my pocket before hiding behind the tree. Western side. Western side. I repeated in my head. I could barely hear myself think over my drumming heart. I took a deep breath and peeked around the edge of the tree. I barely saw Gally through the dark willow leaves. He was in the middle of trying to cross the stream. I used this as my chance to get away and started walking towards the western side of the deadheads like Newt had said. I moved as fast as possible while still staying silent. Gally must have reached the tree and be wondering where I went by now. Why was he following me anyways? Well, I didn't want to find out. I reached the wall at the edge of the western side of the deadheads and began to speed walk along it to the glade. I wanted to be out of the deadheads. Finally the glade came into view and I ran the rest of the way out. I was sweating from being nervous and wiped my hands on my pants. I glanced back to make sure Gally wasn't there and walked over to the homestead. I rushed up the steps ignoring the creaky step naturally now, and shut myself inside my room. I had so many things going on in my mind: Alby found out. I don't know why it's so bad we were meeting, but I know it must not have been allowed. Newt's probably gotten in trouble, and it's my fault. Gally is out to get me. Newt's note saved me. I can't meet with Newt anymore. I can't meet with Newt anymore. I wanted to cry, but no tears would come. Instead I became overwhelmed with thoughts of what the days would be like without him. He was something to live for.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------—

A/N: Chapter tennnn. This chapter was a little intense. I kept yelling at Y/N to turn AROUND except I was the one writing it. Sorry for the sort of depressing end. Thanks for reading again, and yes im on a roll with updating right now.